Home | Meet Anna | Bookshelf | Coming Soon | Reviews | Articles | Contests | Appearences | Photos

Monday, March 06, 2006

Buffy, All Grown Up and Kicking Butt in Our Own Backyards

What an amazing book--Julie Kenner's Carpe Demon. I love it for so many reasons, and not just becase it's one of the new books that's written like a chick lit (flawless first person, with an uber-accessable narrative stye), but also because a book finally, FINALLY, addresses the lives of still-hip women (at least, we'd like to think we are), over the age of thirty.

I love that the author spends no time introducing the concept of a vampire slayer to us--we're expected to understand the breed if we've picked up the book, and there are always refuns of Buffy and Angel to educate us, so why waste page time rehashing?

I love that Kate finds being a stay-at-home mom of two energetic kids and wife of an up-an-coming lawyer more of a daily challenge that demon slaying ever was--even when the demons launch themselves back into her life, it's that night's dinner party she's most worried about managing (demons are so not as big a deal). Speak to me, sister!!!

I love that the story is written, though hiply as I mention above, like a made-for-family movie (though there is a good bit of cursing, which in my opinion only adds to the realism of the work...still, for those who don't like that sort of thing beware before you hand it over to your teens): the kids are real, but not dangeraously so; the husband is self-absorbed, but not in a beat-my-wife-if-dinner's-not-on-the-tabe-at-six sort of way; the heroine is harried, but she's our hero so not to worry, she'll manage everything that comes her way; and the demons are scary, but somehow it's always clear from the start that they're going to be sorry for messing up Kate's important dinner (even though we're never sure from scene to scene, exactly how she'll manage (i.e., how will she manage to get that body burried without her dinner guests, or her husand, finding out?). Interesting and unique, Carpe Demon doesn't make me wonder if I'll be up all night after reading another chapter, so I keep reading!

It's escapism, dear readers. Just what I read light paranormal for. Exactly why so many of my generation, and not just our kids, fell for Buffy and Angel. I don't like Horror, but I like a good demon-fight as much as the next surburban mom. And it's well written escapism. Joss Weaton's (did I spell that right???) brilliance with the written word is what made his slayer shows work. You couldn't wait to hear what was going to come out of his characters' mouths next, so you kept watchinge even when his story lines became totally unrealistic. You'll feel the same about Carpe Demon.

So, the comments section is open. I know we are supposed to book chat on Friday's, but the spammers decided today would be best for us (had to wait for everyone to find the new blog).

What do you think--going to find a copy of Carpe Demon and dive in?

Many have written to say they're already fans. Tell us what you liked best.

Oh, and a little birdie shared with me the other day that they're already casting the rolls in the movie that's been optioned from the book--I CAN'T WAIT for this one to to be made into a film!!

8 Comments:

  • At 12:49 PM, Blogger Jennifer Y. said…

    I have this book...I actually won an autographed copy. However, I have yet to read it. I can't wait to read it now!! It sounds good!

     
  • At 2:10 PM, Blogger Nicole said…

    Oh, I really loved Carpe Demon. Can't wait for the sequel this summer.

     
  • At 2:44 PM, Blogger Anna Destefano said…

    See, Tanya knows all things Joss. Knew she'd pull my tuckus out of the fire if I strayed.

    Yes, the irony of what our Carpe Demon heroine chooses to obsess about is too funny not to laugh...so much like real life and the things that get to moms that the rest of the unsuspecting world just doesn't understand.

    By the way, we'll be chatting abou BRAVO's Project Runway for much of the week, so, Tanya, make sure you come back Wednesday and Thursday for sure so we can trash-talk both before and after the final runway showdown!!

     
  • At 3:53 PM, Blogger Jennifer Y. said…

    I LOVE Project Runway! They are having a marathon right now. I can't wait for the finale. I have commented a few times on Tanya's blog about it.

     
  • At 5:56 PM, Blogger Cheryl said…

    Haven't gotten Carpe Demon yet, but hope to soon. I'm not normally into vampires but this sounds so humorous and I love Julie Kenner's writing anyhow.

     
  • At 8:36 PM, Blogger Anna Destefano said…

    Alas, during the PR reunion episode, I'm caught a vibe that maybe Santino had won the whole thing (isn't the runway and final voting actually over before the reunion episode is shot)?

    Daniel V. just looked stunned and almost apologetic--didn't say much during the show. Cloe seemed happy enough, but she wasn't beaming. And Santino, well he was humble and yet confident. Apologizing, but also full of "I belong here" presense, which he wasn't the last few shows of the regular season.

    Ladies, if he wins...what there's something wrong with the universe. What are we going to do???

    And what's up with making them make another tacky outfit to go with their beutifully desinged collections--awful idea!!! That would be like telling an author to add a new chapter at the eleventh hour, with no time left for editing, just to see if she could pull it off. I'd have to kill somebody!!

     
  • At 8:48 PM, Blogger jennyowl said…

    I just started reading Julie Kenner's books but have not gotten to Carpe Demon yet. It sounds really good.

     
  • At 11:45 PM, Blogger Jennifer Y. said…

    "And what's up with making them make another tacky outfit to go with their beutifully desinged collections--awful idea!!!"

    I agree!!! I don't really like Santino a whole lot, but I love his Tim Gunn impression. I like Daniel the best of the three. Chloe just doesn't seem all that enthusiastic about the whole thing anymore and a couple of weeks ago she said that she wasn't sure she wanted it. I was surprised that she chose Diana to help her with the final thing. I will be curious to see who won.

    -jennifer yates

     

Post a Comment

<< Home