Home | Meet Anna | Bookshelf | Coming Soon | Reviews | Articles | Contests | Appearences | Photos

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Release Party--Two for the Prizes

Okay, the saying is Two for the Show, but I'm taking creative liscense because we're having so much fun...

Winners from yesterday and a new excerpt are below (a Lissa and Martin scene this time, as promised), but first a new party question to keep everyone hanging out and having a good time--and of course commenting, so you can be in the running for today's prizes (which I'm sprinkling in throughout the post, so enjoy the view ;o) ...

Reality TV--that's what a lot of my friends get together to watch on "party" night. I know, it sounds very tame, but we do have PR (Project Runway) and TC (Top Chef) night. I know I've asked this before, but so much keeps changing on the the tube...What do you and your friends watch the most? Are you tuned in to Tim Gunn's new fashion show? What about "What Not To Wear" or "How Do I Look?"

TV Dramas vs. SitComs--What's your fav. new show (Dirty, Sexy Money, anyone???) or is a drama more to your liking? Is there an "oldie but still goodie? you're still tuning in to watch? Is Grey's bumming you out now more than making you giggle???

Me? I'm actually getting back into The Unit this season--I think the writing and the drama/uniqueness of the plots is getting better...they seem to have hit their "mainstream" stride... Just about everything else, I have to wait for the DVDs to come up. I don't trust myself with TiVo, you understand. I'd never get anything done... Though I do see that PW is slated to start up again mid-November. Did anyone else catch that an outsted cotnestant is already griping on the Internet Gossip Rag blogs???
---
Okay--yesterday's winners and an new excerpt...

Ruth, the Guess mini evening clutch is yours!!!

Julie, you get the great giveaway bag from RT, complete with promo items I snuck back home inside ;o)

And, because the covnersation was so lively yesterday... One of my prize decks of EC model cards and an Ellora's Cave book goes to... Amy S.!!!

Ladies, email me your mailing addresses, and I'll pack everything up for you today!! Gonna keep up with the mailings this time...scouts honor ;o)

---

Today's XOXO purse/wallet combo (see the pucture above), another selection of books and a Borders Gift Certificate go to randomly selected commenters to today's post...so Party On and let us know your guiltiest TV pleasure!!!
---
Now, about Lissa and Martin's first romantic scene, as a running subplot from The Perfect Daughter through Because of a Boy...our truobled lovers have already met in BOAB and spatted a bit...actually a lot, because Martin's fighting his therapy and recovery and has walked away from everyone and everything he still wants so badly but is afraid he can't keep...and Lissa's not ready to let him go without a fight...

Martin is working out with his physical therapist, overdoing it of course, and not aware that Lissa is there watching as he crashes and burns because he's too frustrated to let his recovery (or their relationship) take its own course:


********

Martin positioned himself between the bars and braced his weight on his hands. Carmen stood to the side, spotting him.

"Just a few steps today," she cautioned. "You've pushed a bit too far already."

Ignoring her, he set off, tentatively sliding--sliding--his right foot forward, while loosening his hold on the bars and lifting his hands. Letting the right leg bear his weight, he inhaled and lifted the left off the ground. His right let promptly gave out, its muscles clenching in a spasm he barely felt, as the ground rushed up to meet him. He caught his weight on his arms. Carmen took as much of it as she could, while he struggled to get his legs back under him.

Every curse word he'd ever heard came tumbling out, one right after the other.

"Martin!" Suddenly, Lissa was supporting the side opposite Carmen. "Are you all right?"

"What the hell are you doing here!" His body leaned into hers, as if he had no say in the matter. And to make matters worse, the area immediately south of his waist responded the same as it had every other time he'd seen her since she arrived in Atlanta. "Can't you get it through you head, I don't want you here."

Clearly his body did, but that didn't mean he intended to do anything about it. Hell, he couldn't even put one foot in front of the other, even if Carmen had given him the all-clear to pursue his reawakened libido.

Just no swinging from the chandelier for a while, big boy she'd teased.

"Back on the bars," she said now. "I'll get your crutch."

His damn arms were weak as noodles as he fought to support his weight on his own.

"Get away from me," he growled at both women. "I'm fine."

Carmen must have been satisfied. She turned and retrieved his crutch, then headed for the side room where she'd massage the kinks out of his muscles on a low table he'd barely be able to roll off of once she was through.

"Five minutes, and your ass is mine again," she said as she went. "You're going to be stiff tomorrow, and your hip's already tight. You're not going anywhere tonight, until I've worked you over from head to toe."

And he wasn't going anywhere near her table until his raging hard-on was under control.

"You can't be here," he said to Lissa in as close to a civil tone as he could manage.

"Martin..." She felt so right beside him, still touching him.

It was bewitching. Terrifying. It made him want to throw his crutch away and lean on her instead. Forever.

Except, even with his manhood intact, he was still half the man she deserved.

"I..." He sighed. Time to cut to the chase. "I can't handle you being here, making me feel the things you do, when..."

"You don't like the way I make you feel?" She glanced down, then let her gaze slide back up his sweat-slicked body. "Wanna run that one by me again?"

"Yes, I'm hard." He clenched his jaw. "It seems all you have to do is walk in the room the last couple of days, and I want you."

She smirked and backed up.

"Be careful, Martin, or you might just turn my head."

"Fine, as long as I'm turning it away." He eased out from between the bars, and headed on his one-and-a-half good legs to finish the day's PT.

Lissa, of course, put her two bewitching legs to work and cut him off at the pass. Leggings... She was wearing black leggings beneath her coat and the oversized sweater that hugged her thighs and butt in a way that gave every muscle in his body even more reason to cramp.

"Damn it, get out of my way!" He'd meant to sound mean.

What came out was closer to begging.

"I've done that long enough." The fury rising in her expression was more than a warning. It was a promise. "I don't care how afraid you are of me or us or whatever you're feeling, I'm not going anywhere tonight, or any other night, until I damn well want to. And right now, I want to be in your way, more than I've wanted anything else in my life."

It wasn't a good idea, he might not be able to get up again, but he headed for the nearest bench and lowered himself down with a groan.

He couldn't bear being close to what he couldn't have, no matter how many times she offered him his dream come true.

It was Lissa's turn to sigh.

"Is it really possible?" She was standing in front of him.

"Is what possible?"

"That you're more afraid of me than you are of never having complete use of your body again?"
Martin leaned his head back against the wall and closed his eyes. He still saw her though. She'd always be in his mind, even after she'd given up and was gone.

"Anything's possible," he said.

Lissa's soft touch on his cheek had his eyes jerking open. Her touch trailed down his chest and the ancient muscle shirt he'd worn. Then those legging-clad legs he had nightly fantasies about were straddling him as she slowly, carefully lowered herself to his lap. His instant response jerked beneath her.

"The question is, why?" she purred.

"Why?" He gripped her waist, his hands filling with her sleek softness, his fingers tightening against his body's demand to sample more. "Because I don't have the strength to move you off me and walk away, not even for your own damn good. And screw sex. I can't be what you need outside the bedroom, either, and we both know it."

She rocked forward, her expression turning dreamy as she draped her arms around his neck.

"I know this feels wonderful." She lowered her head enough for her to lick the inner curve of his ear. "And I know your big, bad heart, and how much you're worried about hurting me, turns me on even more than your body does."

Her lips fluttered against his throat. His hands began to roam.

He'd touched her, held her, even made out with her back in Oakwood. But that had been forever ago, when he'd been carefully courting her and hiding the parts of himself he'd never wanted her to have to deal with. There was nothing careful about the need coursing through him. The drive to take her, to stake his claim, to make sure there would never be another man that could give her what she'd remember having with him.

He wanted to be that man for her, the one she couldn't leave behind, not in her mind. The way she'd always be the woman in his. No more lies. No more hiding. He wanted, needed, her soul.
The way he wanted to believe she needed his, shadows and all.

"Get away from me." He ordered his hands to stop their decent to the bottom nestled against his lap.

He dropped his arms to his side and opened his eyes to stare into her stunned ones.

"Why?" She didn't budge. "So you can be right? So you can limp away and console yourself, instead of dealing with the dirty work of living with what you want? You refuse to let yourself reach for happiness, Martin. That would mean trusting that you and I can handle the good stuff together, as well as whatever's bound to go wrong next."

A not-so-hushed cough was the only warning they got.

"Would you two mind postponing the good stuff?" Carmen wanted to know. "I've got dinner plans, and--"

"No problem." Lissa rocked forward and back again, then she slipped to her feet.

But she didn't back off. She just stood there, only an inch away. Martin's hands reached for her before he realized what he was doing. He clenched them. Pressed them against the bench. His chest accidentally brushed hers as he stood.

Like hell it had been an accident.

Her next breath took his away, his body was so sensitized to the feel of her against him. And she noticed.

She'd always noticed everything about him. About them.

"We're finishing this tonight," she promised.

Labels: ,

35 Comments:

  • At 12:51 PM, Blogger robynl said…

    I really like the portion below:
    You refuse to let yourself reach for happiness, Martin. That would mean trusting that you and I can handle the good stuff together, as well as whatever's bound to go wrong next."
    Congrats to the winners: Ruth, Julie and Amy.

    I am staying with watching CSI, re-runs and new ones.

     
  • At 12:58 PM, Blogger ThatBrunette said…

    Ah, guilty pleasure TV... The older I get, the more I seem to need this stuff. :-)

    I got sucked in to PR at the end of the second season. I *lurve* Tim Gunn. He fits the modern definition of dapper. TC lost my interest in the first season with one episode. The chefs got drunk and one chef attacked another. I watched part of season 2. I love the quickfire challenges!

    My newest guilty pleasure is Gene Simmons Family Jewels. No, really! His kids are hysterical! I didn't like the Osbournes because they looked like they hated each other. The Simmons family seems to really enjoy one another.

     
  • At 1:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love reading excerpts - gives me a sneak peak.

    AS for reality shows - Dancing with the Stars if my fav, Surivor 2nd.

     
  • At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congrats to the winners. My favorte show is Heroes. The new one is Bionic Woman. The only reality show is sometimes The Next Top Model.

     
  • At 1:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    The only shows I watch are Dancing with the Stars and then American Idol when it starts up again. I do like What Not to Wear, but it is one of those shows I just watch if I happen to catch it on. :)

    Congratulations to the winners! :)

     
  • At 1:54 PM, Blogger Fannie said…

    You never disappoint us with the excerpts. Congrats to the winners from yesterday and good luck to all of you. My TV watching is pretty much all over the place. CSI's (3) Criminal Minds, Dancing with Stars, Deal or no Deal, Ghost Whisperer, and Numbers. My newest is Moonlight. So far it's pretty good. Have a great day everyone and hugs to all.

     
  • At 1:59 PM, Blogger Maureen said…

    Hi Anna!

    Thanks for the party and the excerpts. I do enjoy reality TV like Project Runway and Dancing With the Stars. Also, I enjoy What Not to Wear. They have some great advice. Congrats to yesterdays winners.

     
  • At 2:58 PM, Blogger catslady said…

    Congratulations ladies.

    I watch too much TV lol. Boston Legal and Greys are two old favorites. Dancing with the Stars and Survior are my reality shows. New ones are Moonlight, Cane, Private Practice, Dirty Sexy Money and Pushing Daisies. Then there's NCIS, Shark, CSI and Dirty Jobs. Told you it was too much.

     
  • At 3:00 PM, Blogger Angie-la said…

    I am a Dancing with the Stars slut! I love that show...and Cameron Matheson is so purty to look at!
    New shows..Dirty, Sexy, Money is my favorite so far. Pushing Daisies has potential.
    Grey's is getting on my nerves with the whole George and Izzy thing...(or as I call them Scourge and Scuzzy).
    I hate what they are doing to Callie...but I love the return of the sharp tongued Christina! And how she has numbered her interns...too funny. And just when i am starting to like Alec, he does something completely heinous.
    Still love Men in Trees and Blood Ties.

    Thanks for the excerpt...I love to read them!

     
  • At 3:08 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Thank you! Congrats to the winners!!! Excerpt was great!

     
  • At 3:35 PM, Blogger CrystalGB said…

    Congratulations to the winners.
    Some of the new shows that I am enjoying are Chuck, K-ville, and Moonlight. My returning favorites are NCIS, all the CSI's, Ghost Whisperer, House, Criminal Minds, Supernatural and Bones.

     
  • At 3:58 PM, Blogger Jennifer Y. said…

    I LOVE Project Runway and can't wait for the new season to start.

    As for other shows, I find that I tend to watch more dramas than comedies...love losing myself in the stories. I am a big fan of the CSIs, Criminal Minds, Bones, House, Cold Case, Etc. The shows that have a bit of a mystery that needs to be solved seem to appeal to me the most. I do watch other shows though like Grey's Anatomy, Heroes, Eureka, etc.

     
  • At 4:16 PM, Blogger Minna said…

    My favorites at the moment are Numb3rs, Bones, Mythbusters and Men in White. Haven't seen Heroes yet, but it should be on tv tomorrow. I just might watch it. And Amazing Race. I think the season they are showing around here now is the one where they visit Finland.

     
  • At 4:20 PM, Blogger Cheryl said…

    Congratulations winners!
    Oh, wow! That excerpt really hit my emotions hard. Wonderful!
    My guilty TV pleasure, huh? It would be Comedy Central . . . specifically Blue Collar Comedy (Jeff Foxworthy, Larry the Cable Guy, Bill Engvall) & I LOVE Jeff Dunham (comedian/ventriloquist) and his dummy Walter.

    Cheryl

     
  • At 5:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congrats to the winners. My favorite shows are Cold Case, CSI, Desperate Housewives (pretty good this season). The reality shows I like are Real Estate Pros, Deadliest Catch, Flip This House, and American Idol. I do like watching a lot of HGTV shows.
    I'm getting kind of burnt out on reality TV.

    Sandra M

     
  • At 5:40 PM, Blogger Anna Destefano said…

    Have to say, the Cobert Report and The Daily Show are on the tops of my list, though I don't get to see it daily. The only things I watch on Comedy Central, really.

    Smart, smart writing, regardless of your political persuasion. And you can watch videos of the episodes on the Net--that's where I catch up now. Usually in the middle of the night when I can't write any more ;o)

    A.

     
  • At 5:49 PM, Blogger Cherie J said…

    Congrats to the winners! Great excerpt! Don't really watch much tv. Just tune into the Food Network once in awhile. Would rather use my little bit of free time to read. Cool prizes as usual Anna!

     
  • At 5:49 PM, Blogger ellie said…

    Congrats winners. Loved this excerpt and the interesting post. I only watch "24" when it is available. Other than that I love the travel channel and the real estate shows as well as the food network as well.

     
  • At 6:19 PM, Blogger Mariee said…

    Congrats to the winners!

    From all the new shows I like Moonlight the best. And I'm glad Heroes is back :)

     
  • At 6:53 PM, Blogger Nathalie said…

    My guilty pleasure... chocolate!! Just love it in huge quantities :)

     
  • At 6:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Reading! I read several books per weeks and I am obsessed, cannot go without a book!

     
  • At 7:17 PM, Blogger Lily said…

    My guilty pleasure... that is a hard one!

    I am blog addicted... and I am not ashamed to say it!

     
  • At 7:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congrats to the ladies :)

    I don't have a guilyu pleasure... I think, though I really love Dancing with the Stars!

     
  • At 7:58 PM, Blogger Sue A. said…

    Congrats go out to Ruth, Julie and Amy S!

    Loved the excerpt, but I hated to see the excerpt end where it did...I want more!

    I'm watching House and Heroes. And my favorite reality show is So You Think You Can Dance, which I have a long wait for the next season to start!

     
  • At 7:58 PM, Blogger Shari C said…

    Congratulations to the winners!

    Enjoyed the excerpt...keep them coming.

    I am watching Pushing Daisies and the new episodes of NCIS.

     
  • At 8:08 PM, Blogger Carol M said…

    I'm sorry I missed the party yesterday! I've caught up and I'm enjoying the excerpts!

    Congrats to the winners!

    I enjoy watch House, Boston Legal and Monk.

     
  • At 8:15 PM, Blogger Jennifer Y. said…

    Oooh...I forgot to mention The Deadliest Catch...I discovered that during a marathon a few months ago when I was sick and found it fascinating...it and Ice Road Truckers.

     
  • At 8:27 PM, Blogger Anna Destefano said…

    Jennifer, my husband loves Ice Road Truckers...we watched a long string of them in a row...don't get it myself, actually, but have to admit it was interesting.

    Watching NCIS now, while I come up with title alternatives for Remember Me...that's right, TPTB probably aren't going to let me keep my title. Not a big shocker, but I really like this one...sigh...

    The Unit's next!

     
  • At 8:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm actually watching a reality show - Dog the Bounty Hunter right now! May switch to the Unit next!
    Have a good night!

    Sandra M

     
  • At 10:01 PM, Blogger Jan Scarbrough said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 10:03 PM, Blogger Jan Scarbrough said…

    I met you in Atlana at M&M. I mailed that partial yesterday. :-) My favorite show are House and Bones. I love the reality shows on HGTV.

     
  • At 10:22 PM, Blogger Dena said…

    My brother was over one day and always watches shows on A&E and Discovery etc..and Ice Truckers came on like you seen with a whole bunch in a roll,I wasn't to thrilled but I did get where I wanted to see what would happen and hope no one would get hurt or worse.That job is so very dangerous,there seems to be a lot of scary dangerous jobs in Alaska though. I like Top Chef but I am so annoyed that Hung won,he was so arrogant and rude.When he would get a critique that wasn't favorable he would be a real jerk to the judges too.At times he was dangerous in the kithen with no regard for the other chefs as well.My other Reality show I love is Amazing Race and can't wait for the new one.
    I've checked out Moonlight,Kville,
    Private Practice,and Bionic Woman. I don't want to get invested in them though because they will probably get cancelled.
    Thanks for another great excerpt and party Anna.Thats too bad about your title,hope you come up with one you like and they will approve.

     
  • At 6:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I forgot about Ice Truckers. That was kind of crazy. No way would I drive across a frozen lake.

    I really enjoyed the excerpt btw.

     
  • At 10:41 AM, Blogger Tam G. said…

    That would be scary, even to watch seeing someone driving anytruck across a frozen lake.

     
  • At 10:57 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    My husband and son love Ice Road Truckers too. It was kind of interesting, but not really my thing. I did watch Man vs. Wild once or twice, and I really was fascinated by that show.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home