Home | Meet Anna | Bookshelf | Coming Soon | Reviews | Articles | Contests | Appearences | Photos

Friday, July 11, 2008

The Things You Learn from 40 Years and 10 Books

Yeah, no use beating around the bush... I turned 40 yesterday. That's right. 4-0. Halfway to 8-0, but since the women in my family live into their 90s, thank dog, I haven't expended half my shelf life yet ;o) So, you're stuck with me for a bit longer...

And with age (and 11 books written in 4 years), comes, well, mayhem. Not dementia, or early-onset anything...but chaos and choices and the wisdom to sit back and decide what's what, and what's not. Don't worry. This blog is part of what's what. The what's not is elsewhere, and I'm weeding my gardens and rearranging my closets and hugging my family and cats and loving the writing I'm about to do and honoring what I've already been blessed to create and not being afraid of the unknown ahead, and generally deciding which fork in the road is for me. Not to worry, I'm a less-travelled by kind of girl. So, no generic posts coming your way, even though I'm looking into make things better for all of us by not disappearing for weeks on end ;o)

Philosophical enough for you?

As you might have noticed, the list of prize winners wasn't in the last post. That's because I have to go back to both my email inbox for the addresses and the previous posts for the winners I've already announced, cross-reference to see who I have and who I'm missing, list those in the blog, and then pick then go back to the right entries in the blog and pick random winners from the comments, then list them. And while that should only take ten minutes or so, there simply hasn't been any ten minutes in my life the last few weeks that hasn't already been earmarked for something else (like partying, writing, brainstroming, momming, wifing, and prepping for travelling).

The result--I have an amazing book on the shelves (my first RT Top Pick since my first book), To Protect the Child, and I'm not getting to crow about it and give away the goodies I earmarked for the last book. Pout. Pant... Pant... And, like, I can't have a new party until I've tied up after the last one. More Pout, pant, pant...

Let's just say this--the calendar by my desk...it's still sitting on December '07. The new one's unwrapped on the floor. It's been that kind of year.

And then it hit me, amidst my musings, because I've had all kinds of time to just sit and think: I'm trying to finish things from the last party (plus mail my Brenda Novak Auction winners their goodies, and all that just got straightened out), have a new one, and there's another book out in September... And I'm not doing a very good job of keeping up with any of it, because the writing and new proposals and stuff have to get done. And the family has to be loved. And the cats. And the few friends that haven't decided I've died or something...

Okay, maybe I'm overdramatizing things. But what's a writer to do ;o)

Long story short--because I'm getting older by the second--have no fear, I'll get everyone their goodies, and I'll make sure there's something extra in every box. But it's going to take me a little more time. I'm off to Seattle for the Pacific Northwest Writer's Conerence next week, then to San Francisco not too long after that for the RWA National Conference. And my birthday present to me is giving myself that time, and believing it'll be okay.

I'll get that help, so we can still party on. But in the mean time, I'm going to blog more often than I have lately, about the world and what inspires us in it, and what flashes and catches our attention when we least expect it. About this new decade of my life. About what the writing and the living in it is, and what it isn't.

Join me. You'll see more of me. And once I find my helper for all things "party," I'll introduce her and she'll make sure we rock on out here in "Anna Land!"

Have a great weekend, my friends.

20 Comments:

  • At 11:26 PM, Blogger Jennifer Y. said…

    Happy Belated Birthday!

    Sorry you have been so busy...hope you get a chance to take a breather now and then.

     
  • At 10:46 AM, Blogger Cheryl said…

    Hope you had a Happy, Happy Birthday, Anna!

    Everyone needs help, no one can do it all alone. Take care of YOU.

    Cheryl S.

     
  • At 11:02 AM, Blogger Maureen said…

    Happy Birthday Anna! For me my forties have been about doing a little more for myself since my thirties were about everyone else.

     
  • At 11:23 AM, Blogger Lindi said…

    Happy Birthday Anna! Rock on, girl!
    And congrats on the RT Top Pick. You rock the words on the page and we are all the better for it.

     
  • At 1:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy Birthday Anna. Congrats on the RT Top Pick. I enjoy reading all of your books.

     
  • At 8:43 AM, Blogger Fannie said…

    Happy belated birthday. I was off celebrating my daughter-in-law's b-day which is the same as yours. Anna, you are so young. I hit the BIG 65 last month. Now that is old. But I don't feel old.I look at it this way, I didn't get a year older, just a day. Congrats on the nomination and have fun on your travels. Hurry back and take care.

     
  • At 2:43 PM, Blogger Jane said…

    Happy Birthday, Anna. Isn't 40 the new thirty? Have fun in Seattle. Congrats on your first RT Top Pick.

     
  • At 1:21 AM, Blogger robynl said…

    happy birthday Anna; congrats on the first RT Top Pick. Look forward to the next party.

     
  • At 4:27 AM, Blogger ReadingIsSoMuchFun said…

    Happy belated Birthday Anna. Congratulation on your first RT top Pick YaY! I am very happy for you. I look forward to the next party WooHoo!

    Hugssss
    LindaH

     
  • At 10:54 AM, Blogger Lil said…

    Happy Belated Birthday, Anna! Sounds like you have been having quite the packed schedule. You definitely deserve time just for you on top of all the time spent on various obligations (enjoyable or otherwise). Regardless, enjoy all of the nifty things that are happening, new releases, and great reviews!

     
  • At 2:53 PM, Blogger Cherie J said…

    Happy Belated Birthday Anna! I can sympathize about turning 40. I just turned 40 last year. I remember how introspective I was. You really start to look back and think about your life. It is great that you are taking time for yourself. You don't want to burn out.

     
  • At 3:16 PM, Blogger ThatBrunette said…

    Happy Belated Birthday! What is it about birthdays that can turn a person so maudlin?

    I'm glad to see you back and blogging. Have a great time at the conference and make sure you go to next year's conference in DC! :-)

     
  • At 8:45 PM, Blogger J said…

    Happy Belated Birthday! Good to know you'll be around more soon.

     
  • At 2:26 PM, Blogger Carol M said…

    Happy Birthday Anna!

    I wish I had just turned 40! lol
    I have a son that age!!

     
  • At 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy Belated Birthday.

    Have a blast at the conference.

     
  • At 8:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Whoops - that was me at 8:02 - LOL.
    Happy bday again and have a blast at the conference.

    Pat L.

     
  • At 10:27 AM, Blogger CrystalGB said…

    Happy Belated Birthday. Hope you had wonderful day.

     
  • At 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy Belated Birthday.
    Just saw your new book available on eharlequin.com.
    Have fun at the conference.
    Sandra M

     
  • At 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ANNA!!!

    JACK M

     
  • At 5:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Birthdays, Birthdays, do women still have them. Age means very little these days and with all the new beauty products on the market, no one can tell your real age anyhow.
    Just enjoy being yourself without the stress of time.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home