Home | Meet Anna | Bookshelf | Coming Soon | Reviews | Articles | Contests | Appearences | Photos

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Amazing Thing About Writers is that we LOVE to write...

Sounds simple, doesn't it? That we should love what others love for us to do.

But sometimes while we're doing the work, it feels too much like work to be a well-loved thing. And when you're on the inside of work that seems like it'll never end, the end becomes the goal rather than cherishing the beauty of what you're doing.

When you're a writer, deadlines can too easily become about simply finishing. About getting to a point where you're no longer terrified that you'll fail. How can you love feeling like that?

So imagine my surprise, as I embarked on the first of the roughly 12 deadline's I'll have to meet between now and the end of the year (that's right, there are only 9 months left, so you got it, there will be sometimes more than one deadline in a month, in addition to the travel and appearances I have scheduled), to find an unfamiliar sense of peace settling over me. A surprising anticipation to tackle the opportunities ahead. A surge of joy about writing something new, after only finishing the last new thing just a week before.

I have the chance to have three books out next year!!! Dreading any part of what comes with that privilege would be rediculous. Just a few years ago, something like having three books contracted at the same time would have seemed an unattainable dream! Now I'm living it. I'm sweating the deadlines, but I'm living the dream.

So bring on the deadlines. Hit me with the spine-tingling anxiety of not knowing what I'll create exactly, but knowing it has to get done, so I'd better get to it!!

Playing with the big kids is a treat, my friends. Don't shy away from your chance when it comes. Don't worry so much. Just kick your heals up and dance. You'll never know if you can do it, unless you throw everything you have into trying. At least, that's what I'm telling myself as I move on from today's deadline into what I have to have done by Monday ;O)

Update on prizes: A few items are left to be shipped out. By the first of next week we'll be all caught up and the last of the packages will be on their way. Thanks so much for your patience.

Update on appearances: I'm off to speak at the Maryland RWA Chapter Thursday. Can't wait to meet up with old friends and meet some new ones as we chat about the planning and revising that are so key to the writing process.

And the end of the month, I'll be in California for the Celebrate Romance conference--anyone on the West Coast wanna come for a fun readers' weekend?

Here's hoping you have a week full of challenges, and an exciting weekend full of fun yourself!!

3 Comments:

  • At 10:09 PM, Blogger Angie-la said…

    Anna,
    That is so wonderful, Three books!!
    You have the right attitude, chick!
    It can seem overwhelming if you think about it all at once, but if you just break it down in to small managable pieces, its all good!!!
    Have fun in Maryland!
    Hugs!
    Angie

     
  • At 8:06 AM, Blogger Dena said…

    How exciting!!Congrats on the three books.I can't imagine doing it all,but I know you can because you have that zeal and drive.

     
  • At 8:36 AM, Blogger Willena said…

    You are quite an inspiration with your posts. It's very easy to forget that these are roses when the thorns are sometimes all one can see.

    I'm very sorry you lost all your other posts, but this is a clean and beautiful new blog format. Love it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home