Home | Meet Anna | Bookshelf | Coming Soon | Reviews | Articles | Contests | Appearences | Photos

Friday, February 16, 2007

Going out with a bang!!!

It's our final day to party!!! Thanks, everyone, for keeping me and my new Superromance company this week. We had a blast on romancebytheblog and out on Noveltalk last night. And all the support and high-fives on my ST idea mean the world to me. I'm dying to make that happen now.

It's amazing to hear how many twins or twin family members there are in our little group. Nice to know I'm not the only one intrigued by the unusual bond that twins share ;o) Exploring that's going to be a treat!!!

Can't hang long today, because my son has an all-afternoon event at his school. But I'll be back later this evening to catch up, so make sure you're rocking the blog while I steal a few hours away. Those of you who are local, I'll be signing The Perfect Daughter at the B&N at the Forum in Norcross tomorrow from 2:00 - 4:00. Hope I see a few of you there!!!

As for topic of the day--I want to hear what else in your lives you think would make a great story!!! What wacky, emotional or historical thing from your life is just dying to be out there for the world to enjoy?

Up for grabs today, two Nine West bags... An awesome shoulder bag, and a smaller one. Both Valentine's red. You'll love them. Plus, I have this great set of Pink Tweed cosmetic travel cases. Sooo cute!!!

I'll start. I'm intrigued by psychic phenomenon, because I've expereinced a taste of it myself from time-to-time. Instinct, intuition, call it what you will, but I believe in the power of the mind to see and sense things we don't focus on in the day-to-day. Where do the right words come from when we're helping a friend through something? Where does that flash originate--the one that tells you to take a second look to make sure there's no on-coming traffic, only to save you from being hit by someone flying through a red light?

One of my "huh!" quirks? When I'm under stress, electromagnetic things all around me go nuts. Our wifi at home craps out...just for me...works for everyone else. I walk into a store and the cash registers go down. Can't scan a credit card. Gas tanks stop working. Once, the batteries all my watches died at the same time. Something goes on the fritz when my mind's all a-tumble. You can bet you'll see that in a book one day ;o)

What's your quirk!! Let's go out with a bang, celebrating the wackiness that makes us such a fun group, lol!!!

Blog winner from yesterday--the great silver/black Nine West bag...

Diane--who posted at 7:53... You' re getting something lovely in the mail soon!!! Email me your snail mail addie, my friend.

Keep coming back over the next few weeks as we plan our April party--plus I'm always giving things away out here. Have a few cool St. Patrick's Day prizes up my sleeve for you guys!!!

And here's one final taste The Perfect Daughter... I'm fast-forwarding a few scenes again. I thought those of you who've read the last two daughter books would enjoying seeing Carrinne again.

Now, go get your own copy and see how it turns out!!!

******

Matt had another inch of scotch left in his bottle, and no interest whatsoever in dragging himself out of his chair to answer the doorbell.


But the thing clearly wasn't going to stop ringing if he didn't move. Whoever it was had gotten someone to buzz him in downstairs, totally ignoring the fact that Matt hadn't bothered to.
Whoever it was had better damn well--


"Get away from the door!" he shouted, throwing back another shot of liquor, straight from the bottle.


He didn't want to see another damn person. Didn't want to think about another damn thing.

Thinking only opened the door for feeling, and feeling was at the top of his didn't-want-to list tonight.


He'd been off the job for two weeks. Paid leave, while Internal Affairs investigated, sounded better than being suspended. But it didn't feel any less like screwing up. And nothing felt worse than letting people down--his partner, his captain, Maggie...


"I'm as stubborn as my daughter, Detective Lebretti," a female with a smoky, southern-tinged voice announced. "Don't waste both our time waiting for me to give up and go away."


Only a moron would face his ex's mother drunk off his ass.


The doorbell jingled again.


Either a moron, or a man with binge headache one jingle away from imploding.


He shoved himself to unsteady feet. After making it to the door, he worked the deadbolts, double-vision creating a fuzzy mess of the locks and chains until he blinked everything back to normal. Leaning a hand against the wall, he opened up to the blonde spitfire who'd raised the only woman who'd been able to hold her own against him for longer than a few months.


"Mrs. Rivers, what can I do for you?"


She took in his less-than-sober state, then breezed into the apartment and rounded on him.


"To start with, you can make some coffee and drink enough of it to be able to focus on what I've come to say."


"I've got plenty to drink right here." He gave Carrinne his best scotch-bottle salute and returned to his chair. "You're welcome to join me. Glasses are in the kitchen."


She was the granddaughter of bona fide southern aristocrat, he'd heard--though not from Maggie. They'd never talked about their families beyond whatever was going on in the here and now. Luckily, in Matt's case that meant there was absolutely nothing to say, beyond the fact that his grandparents had stopped being a part of his life years before they'd both died. Of Maggie, he knew that her dad and the uncle she'd left behind in Georgia were the best cops on the face of the earth, her mother was the strongest, smartest business woman in Manhattan, and Maggie worked her ass off hoping to make them all proud. Friends had filled in the gaps a bit, revealing that Carrinne came from money somewhere down south, even though grit and determination had won her the life she'd made since arriving in New York as a pregnant teen.


Matt could easily believe the woman's pedigree at the moment, the way Carrinne gazed down her nose at the trashed apartment he'd recently shared with her daughter. Not to mention his next chug from the bottle. Then she grabbed the scotch and daintily helped herself to a good shot and a half.


Her grin as he reclaimed his booze said she knew she'd shocked him. Satisfied, she settled her petite self on top of the coffee table that matched the couch and love seat he and Maggie picked out together.


"They look like home," Maggie had assured him in the midst of their day-long excursion into furniture shopping--synonymous in most men's vocabulary with the third circle of hell. "They look like us."

So the bright red, slip-covered piles of padding had come home with them, and he'd pretended to like how they were too big for their tiny living area. What cop didn’t want to maneuver through a blood-colored obstacle course on his way to bed at night, or when he stumbled to the kitchen for coffee in the morning. The damn things were an eye-sore.

But since Maggie had left, he'd slept on them every night. Lying in their bed had been an exercise in torture. The hours dragged by, his body on fire as memories of making love kicked insomnia into his own personal, erotic hell.


"Detective?" Carrinne held her hand out for the scotch. Quirked an eyebrow when he hesitated.


He shoved the bottle at her.


"When you're done, feel free to let yourself out." He waved in the direction of the door, but ended up motioning toward the bathroom instead.


Lord, he was drunk.


"Not a chance, Detective. I was dealing with my own Tall, Dark and Brooding man when you were still trying to figure out whether or not girls have cooties. Do your worst. I'll still be here. Resistance is futile."


Hearing one of Maggie's pet sci-fi phrases come out of her mother's mouth got the better of him. His snort burned through the pounding in his head. Rubbing the heels of his hands over his eyes, he resigned himself to enduring whatever the woman had come to say. Whatever it took to get his bottle back and his ex's mother out of his apartment, so he could finish drinking himself into the oblivion he was hoping would make thinking completely impossible.

Labels: , , , ,

27 Comments:

  • At 11:03 AM, Blogger Shannon said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 11:04 AM, Blogger Shannon said…

    I was raised by my dad alone. I think that would make a really great story line. A father who gives up so much to raise a small daughter and then the bond that creates in the future. Also, this hasn't happened for my dad yet but, if the father finds love after the daughter is grown.

    Happy Friday everyone!

     
  • At 11:14 AM, Blogger Pat L. said…

    I just love that RED bag. YOu are oh soo good to us.

    How about a romance book where the hero is like a real man with all his really and many annoying flaws. LOL - forget it - the book would never sell unless it was an Erma Bombeck type book.

    I love Shannon's suggestion and Shannon, I hope your Dad finds romance soon.

     
  • At 11:16 AM, Blogger Pat L. said…

    Hope I didnt offend anyone - I guess that book has been done - Venus/Mars.

     
  • At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Shannon's comment makes me smile because, though she didn't raise all 9 of us kids alone, my dad lived to be 91, my mom has found a boyfriend. She's 84 now. She met her 77 year old boyfriend at the county fair when he asked her a question about a show. He pursued her with cards and flowers and phone calls for almost a year before they actually had a date. All of the kids have varying opinions about how we feel about the romance. She's not really shy about talking about the fact that it's HOT in the romance department. So, Shannon, I hope your Dad finds someone when he's ready. And wouldn't it be cool if someone would write a cool romance about an older couple who isn't stuck in a nursing home somewhere. Both my mom and her love maintain their own homes, still drive though my mom limits herself to local trips, no more than 50 miles. Still are vital and interesting people with hobbies and real lives.

     
  • At 11:24 AM, Blogger Meljprincess said…

    Crikey, my whole life would make for one interesting story. But I'm writing my memoirs so I can't give anything away. I will say this...I am a ghostbuster. I go to people's homes and help them with their "visitors".

    Congrats Beth and Diane!

     
  • At 11:35 AM, Blogger kerri1973 said…

    Hey Anna! Sorry I missed your chat last night. We had a little family emergency here. :-( Hope my pals at NT took good care of you, chica.

    Quirks? I would have to say that I experience frequent episodes of deja vu. For instance, I'll be sitting at the dinner table have a conversation with my family and then I'll stop and say didn't we just talk about this last night? They say "uh, no". It is like I've dreamed or seen this exact conversation before and am reliving it. Very strange. This happens to me all the time.

    I was just watching John Edwards on Oprah yesterday. He is very fascinating. Do you believe in Mediums? Have any of you ever had an experience with a spirit or other worldly presence?

    Have a great weekend chickadees!

     
  • At 12:13 PM, Blogger krissyinva said…

    With a crazy family like mine, I could think of so many, but the one that stands out the most for me is my twin. Yes I was a twin, but my twin was born still born. I have always wondered what it would be like, I always have felt that something was missing. I also at times believed everyone has lied to be and my twin wasn't stillborn but was out there somewhere, it's always been wierd for me. Nobody talks about it and I have always let my imagination I guess take over and think of stolen hospital babies sold on the black market. Well what if was true and one day I'm walking down the street and walk into my mirror image? Okay no seriously I'm not crazy, but what if?? lol

     
  • At 12:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I'm like Kerri, I get a feeling of deja vu. I could be talking to someone and stop and think, haven't we said this before. I love watching Sylvia Browne on the Montel Williams show.

     
  • At 12:39 PM, Blogger traveler said…

    When my son was planning his wedding 2 years ago, I had this sick feeling about it for a good while, and did voice my trepidation to him a couple of times. He was totally infatuated and wouldn't take heed of my warnings. My intuition at that time was 100% accurate, unfortunately. What did transpire before the wedding was a nightmare of huge proportions which I had totally predicted but hoped wouldn't occur. We did survive and lived to tell the story. This would make a great book, and a movie if I could have the courage to spill details. Suffice it to say, my husband and I came to the rescue and the entire burden of the wedding our full obligation. I still have loss of sleep over this debacle.

     
  • At 12:39 PM, Blogger Minna said…

    That pink bag is just lovely!

    Sometimes I get the feeling of deja vu, too, but since there is that sceptical side of me, I usually think that my brain is just playing tricks on me.

     
  • At 12:48 PM, Blogger Jennifer Y. said…

    Congrats Diane!

    I am not sure there is anything in my life worth putting into a story. My parents have known each other since childhood so there is, I guess, a story idea.

    I do kind of have a "huh" quirk...kind of like yours, which is a bit eerie...every stereo I have ever owned ends up messing up...it just stops working for no reason...it has also happened with a couple of computers and a monitor...I would say it is our house, but it happens other places too. I can't use my brother's digital cable without it freezing up on me...and I am the only one it does it to. My family has often joked that I am giving off electromagnetic signals that mess with things. The thing is, it doesn't happen all the time...which is odd...and it is mostly CD players (it could be other things, but I haven't noticed). Maybe its a stress thing for me too...I haven't noticed.

     
  • At 12:51 PM, Blogger Jennifer Y. said…

    Oh, and I am going to try and come to the signing...not sure if I'll be able to or not yet.

     
  • At 12:59 PM, Blogger Kathleen said…

    Congrats Diane!!!
    Deja vu for me too...either in conversations or events that are happening.

    Dee, that is so sweet about your mom :)

     
  • At 1:38 PM, Blogger robynl said…

    congrats Diane.
    The odd time I have heard about something and it seems to me that I have been there and yet know I haven't; maybe I dreamt about it.

     
  • At 6:20 PM, Blogger Carol M said…

    Congrats Diane!

    I'm not sure it's exactly a quirk, but once, a long time ago, my husband, my two children and I were in a store shopping. I knew something was wrong but I didn't know what. I wanted to leave but my husband wanted to look around somemore. I few minutes later two men came out of the back of the store with guns and they robbed the store. They also made my husband get on the floor. They put a gun to his head and took his wallet and ran out. We were all lucky that no one got hurt! I've never had such a strong feeling like that since then!

     
  • At 7:23 PM, Blogger Lis said…

    Congrats Diane! Enjoyed chatting with you last night Anna.

    I've learned in the last while to trust my intuition. I actually had a feeling about something so strongly it was making me almost physically ill and once I changed the something, it went away instantly.

     
  • At 8:34 PM, Blogger Maureen said…

    Thanks for the great party! I have two teenagers with the craziest friends. They keep me laughing with their antics.

     
  • At 8:38 PM, Blogger catslady said…

    Congrats Diane.

    I probably could write a book. I was married for 15 years before deciding to have children and now have been married 37 years. I love hearing about my parents and my husband's parents stories. Some from Sicily and others of Mennonite families. My husband and I had quite a time for 15 years but what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas roflmao.

     
  • At 9:30 PM, Blogger Fannie said…

    Congrats to Diane. You know, my life is intresting to me but would probably bore everyone else to tears. Being of Cherokee decent, I guess I take my gifts for granted.I have forseen numerous events and often have spirits visit, usually fortelling an event. Not all Native Americans have gifts but most do to some degree. The Elders are usually more gifted than those of us with less degree of blood. I hope you or someone does a story along these lines someday. Have a great day and hugs to all.

     
  • At 10:35 PM, Blogger Jennifer Y. said…

    Oh, I forgot about something weird that happened to me recently. I sometimes have dreams that kind of come true...I say kind of because they aren't always exact, but sometimes the events are similar. A couple of weeks ago I dreamed I was fighting off a couple of giant black panthers in diamond-studded collars that were fighting in my yard and attacking me. I yelled at them and tried to break them up, but couldn't and then I woke up. I told my mom about it the next day and how weird and real the dream was. A couple of days later I heard an awful sound out on our front porch. I went to investigate and there were two stray black cats fighting each other. I had never seen them before. I chased them off and it wasn't until I was telling my mom about it that I realized how similar it was to my dream...only these cats were smaller and had no diamonds...LOL. It was kind of eerie.

    I have weird and vivid dreams, but not all of them come true...if that were the case I'd be married to Johnny Depp and living on a pirate ship (another dream I had)...LOL.

    Just had to share because I just remembered it.

     
  • At 8:38 AM, Blogger Cheryl said…

    I'm another one like Kerri with many feelings of "deja vu". Lots of times I'll be in the moment and think, "didn't I already to this?". The only other thing from my life that would be an interesting addition to a book is something I'm not comfortable putting in comments for everyone to see.

     
  • At 4:54 PM, Blogger Jennifer Y. said…

    It was great to see you today!

     
  • At 10:35 PM, Blogger Jeanette J said…

    Another great party as usual..sorry to see it end but am looking forward to the next one

     
  • At 3:54 PM, Blogger Kathleen said…

    Great stories everyone!

    Thanks for the fun party Anna!

     
  • At 4:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hey Anna,

    What a great week long party.

    My grandma has a unique ability to sense when somethig is wrong. She lives several states away from me, but whenever I have a particularly bad day or something bad has occurred, she calls and asks what's wrong. She does this to all our family members. It is a little strange. We've all discussed it. She's a feisty 80+ year old and would make a great character for a book.
    Have a great weekend!

     
  • At 7:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The post is lovely. I had a great time reading it and surely gonna visit your blog again. The pix of the bags are real cool, perhaps I can gift it to my friend whose birthday happens to be just round the corner.
    Do drop by my blog too for some really interesting stuff.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home