Home | Meet Anna | Bookshelf | Coming Soon | Reviews | Articles | Contests | Appearences | Photos

Monday, February 12, 2007

Party!!! You don't have to GUESS where the fun is this week!!!

Party all Valentine's week, ya'll!!! Today through Friday. Hearts and friends and fun and prizes, and I'll be excerpting The Perfect Daughter (my February release from Superromance) for those of you who haven't read any of it yet. At one of our Blog Release Parties, and you never know what could happen!!!

Why do I give purseses away, so many people have asked. Because purses are one of the many things I'm in love with on this planet, as are my faithful fans. So what better way to be sure that a new book's release is one of my favorite weeks of the year, than to give away lots of fun bags and other goodies to my blog buddies!!!


Just leave a comment each day, to be eligible for each day's drawing. Yes, that means you'll need to come back tomorrow and leave another comment, but we'll be having so much fun, you wont' mind. Promise.

Today's prizes--well, getting to hang with your friends, for one thing ;o) . But I'm also throwing in a $5 Borders gift certificate, and two lucky winners will receive one of my trendy GUESS purses--the Gold Mine purse and matching wallet or another stylish White party purse I picked up at the same time.


So come out and share a little of yourself. We don't bite. Promise!!!


There will be more prizes and excerpts and fun pitures and stuff here every day, and those of you who feel like travelling a bit, there will be field trips throughout the week, with more chances to win!!!

Today's topic--tell us what one of your favorite things is. You already know purses are mine. Really, I buy something special with each new contract. Those who've hung out here enough know that usually means either a purse or a piece of fine art. I'm nuts about collecting what other artists see in the world--visual art, music, textiles, you name it. When it comes to paitings, I'm more of a motion and emotion girl. I want a picture to make me feel something. Tell me a story. For instance, here's the fine art giclee reproduction hanging across from desk--from Itallian artist Pino Daeni. The title is White Rhapsody, and my husband bought it for me when I signed my first contract. Says he thinks she looks like me. The motion and subtle variations send my imagiation soaring every time I need a little inspiration.

Of course, ladies, when we need some inspiration, it doesn't take a master artist to get us in the mood--photography is another love of mine. Yours, too, I'm betting. To my guy blog friends, I'll make sure to include something fun for you to look at throughout the week, too ;o) But, ladies, doesn't this guy's expression and georgous eyes make your mind go to romantic places we all need to escape to from time to time?

So, what's one of your favorite things? What's something you're always recognized for having with you or doing or enjoying, that's just a little left of center? I'm an artist. Far from the normal human being, and I'm starting to like that a bit more with every year that goes by. So share your quriky self with me and everyone else. Let us get to know you a bit better.
And while you do, here's an excerpt from The Perfect Daughter. I'm hearing from fans all over the country that early copies are in bookstores and WallMarts and grocery stores everywhere. Hope you find one near you!!!

***********
Chapter One

"Stop hovering, Mom." Maggie Rivers barely glanced at the woman who'd joined her beside an ornate stained glass window.

She'd been independent for years. Since she was a teenager, her parents had supported her from a distance while trusting her to make her own choices. But today, Carrinne Wilmington-Rivers was displaying a talent for up-close-and-personal hand wringing.

"I'm fine," Maggie insisted, when her entire body was a throbbing migraine waiting to happen. "Please go sit with Dad."

Her father was somewhere amidst the crowd of Class-A-dressed officers who'd filled the enormous Manhattan cathedral. But her mother had abandoned their perfectly good seats to offer the kind of public support that could only mean disaster. The kind of lean on me, when you're not strong display Maggie refused to let NYPD Detective Matt Lebretti see her needing.


Matt and the other pallbearers would be carrying the flag-draped coffin into the church any minute. Then he'd join her near the front. She had a funeral service to get through for a man she barely knew. A man whose death was entirely too personal for both her and Matt. No way was she indulging in a heart-to-heart with her mother. It was already impossible not to picture everyone being there for Matt, instead of his partner.

He and Bill had been standing only a few feet away from each other when Bill went down.

"I know how hard this must be for you." Her mother squeezed Maggie's shoulder. "If you needed anything--"

"I need to focus on Matt right now."

Through the cathedral's open doors, she could see him waiting on the steps for the hearse to arrive. Her heart caught at the rigid set of his classic Italian features. He was determined to be okay, too, no matter how responsible he felt for Bill Donavan's death.

"It's not like this is the first funeral I've ever been to." She shrugged off her mother's touch and the echoes of everything she'd fought to leave behind.

"Matt's clearly worried about you." Her mom blinked at Maggie's wordless glare to shut up, please. "Letting yourself lean on people while you deal with something like this isn't the end of the world, Honey."

Something like this.

A sea of blue.

That's what her dad had said a NYPD funeral would look like. His description hadn't begun to prepare her for the reality.

When she'd started NYU five years ago, he'd transferred from being the sheriff of small-town Oakwood, GA, to a captain's position in one of New York's outlying boroughs. His county-funded job mostly involved enforcing civil laws and warrants, unlike the city officers who dealt with the bulk of the day-to-day violence and street crime. Still, he and his deputies had attended every department funeral in the last five years. They all turned out--NYPD, New Jersey officers, sheriffs, port authority cops. They showed up in force to honor the ultimate sacrifice an officer could make.

Maggie glanced to where Bill's grieving widow and mother were holding each other in the front pew. Women who'd given a hero their heart, never believing this could happen. Not really. Not to them.

No one ever did.

"I'll be fine," she assured her mother.

Carrinne walked away in silence. Her expression assured Maggie that she wasn't fooling anyone.


Okay, maybe fine wasn't the right word for standing alone in a church teaming with grieving people. But at least she'd earned a few moments of silence, free of her family wondering what had been going on since her trip down to Georgia last summer.


Her return to the tiny town of Oakwood for her great-grandfather, Oliver's, funeral had unearthed memories she'd thought were buried forever. Now, her past had a stranglehold on the life she'd worked so hard for, feeding her fear of losing Matt and the compulsion to run from everything.

As if sensing she needed it, Matt smiled solemnly from his post at the door.

It hurt like hell, but she made herself smile back.
***
"You guys ready?" Tommy Callihan asked. Word had just come over the radio. The hearse was a couple of blocks away.

"Hell no," Matt bit out as he turned away from the church.

He wasn't ready for any of it.

It was too dark to be such a hot, July morning. Grey-tinged clouds rolled drearily by, threatening rain. Staring at them should have been depressing. Instead, it was a relief.


Anything was better than focusing on the flood of dark blue surrounding him as he waited for the body of his friend to arrive. Or turning around again to find Maggie still watching from inside.


"Oh, my God! I'm so sorry," she'd said three days ago, when he'd told her about the shooting.


She'd clung to him, asking if there was anything she could do, for him or the Donovan family. When he'd left for work the next morning, she'd bravely battled the first tears he'd ever seen in her expressive, brown eyes. Then when he'd come back that night and every night since, she'd clung some more. And he'd let her.


He'd needed Maggie's warm, toned body in his arms, just as much as she'd needed him. Just for a day or two, he'd told himself. Just until he could close his eyes and not see Bill bleeding out while Matt was powerless to do anything but pray for a medical miracle that hadn't come.


But two days had come and gone, then three. And the haunted look in Maggie's eyes hadn't disappeared. A look that was about more than just one dead police officer.


She'd said she was fine. She'd been saying it for nearly a year, ever since they'd moved in together and things had started to change.


She'd been a force to reckon with when they'd first started dating. Fearless. Magnificent. Then last summer she'd started calling his cell three and four times a day. They'd argued about it, when they never argued, and she'd finally stopped. Next, his long hours and late nights had started to irritate her. This from a woman mired in a grueling schedule of teaching by day, and masters-level courses in education at NYU several nights a week. Then Bill had been killed, and Matt had caught tears in her eyes every time he'd left her since. And that's when he'd finally understood.


Maggie wasn't irritated. She was scared. Spooked by the unrelenting danger he faced as a lead detective on Manhattan's gang task force.


Damn it!


He had a friend to bury. A job to do. A flood of internal red tape drowning him after the shooting.


But what was he spending every waking moment worrying about? Holding on to the woman who'd knocked him on his ass when he'd first caught sight of her--at the Central Park softball game she'd come to watch her dad pitch. At twenty-five, she'd been almost too young for him.

But she hadn't seemed the least bit impressed by his bad-boy muscles, or the rough-edged charm that most women responded to. Her first irreverent comeback to one of his smoother pickup lines had lured him back for round two. Before the game was over, he'd talked her into going for a beer after, and he hadn't looked at another woman since.


Sun glinted off the windows of the hearse as it turned the corner and crept to a stop at the curb.

He, Callihan and the other officers headed down the marble steps, his mind replaying the image of Bill's widow and his mother crying at the front of the cathedral, powerless to stop what was happening. Just as they'd been powerless every day Bill had left to do what he'd sworn to do for the people of this city.


The same job Matt couldn't turn his back on, not even for Maggie. Not even when it felt like he was wasting his time more often than not these days.


There would always be more crime and violence, more too-young gang hoods joining the party, than he'd every be able to stop. But he did the job better than just about anyone on the force. And that had always been enough. Making whatever difference he could had kept him going, no matter the cost.


Now, the tab included his partner's life. And if Matt didn't do something soon, his relationship with Maggie might join the growing list of casualties.


No, he wasn't ready for any of this.

Labels: , , , ,

25 Comments:

  • At 9:57 AM, Blogger robynl said…

    First one for the party it seems and am ready. Hi Anna.
    That excerpt tugs at my heart strings for sure.
    I love collecting journals, funky note pads, note books. I have one in many strategic places in my home just in case I think of something profound to write in there or just need to jot down a thought or list of things to accomplish. I even put special pretty ones out for show. Behind the cover and on the pages of journals can be hidden thoughts of someone and I think this is special.

     
  • At 10:26 AM, Blogger Shannon said…

    Party, Party, Party...

    Ok, my favorite thing is books. If you ask my husband I have waaaaaaay too many. What does he know? Ok, so my book case has so many books in it that they are ready to topple it over at any minute. That just means I need more shelves, right? Have a great day everyone!

     
  • At 10:31 AM, Blogger Cheryl said…

    Hi Anna,
    Great party already! Of course, I always have a book with me. But the other thing that I'm crazy about is pens. It really bums me when the ink in my favorite pen runs out. Then I have to search and search for just the right replacement. Not all pens are created equal. :-)

     
  • At 10:42 AM, Blogger Meljprincess said…

    Hi Anna!
    I love Doc Martin boots and shoes. The website is full of styles I want. I've worn them for years and they are the most comfortable boots and shoes ever! I want the leopard print 8 eyelet.....
    http://www.dmusastore.com/index.asp
    Check them out!
    Can't wait to read TPD!

    Melissa

     
  • At 11:46 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Great excerpt! I always have a book with me.

     
  • At 11:52 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hey Anna! It's a great week to party. The one thing that I like collecting and wearing is jewelry. I love finding different pieces all over the country. My favorite necklace I found in Sedona, AZ. My favorite bracelet in Savannah, GA. It doesn't have to be expensive jewelry, just unique pieces that are really inspiring or grab my attention. I love finding new designs and new colors.

     
  • At 12:10 PM, Blogger CrystalGB said…

    Great excerpt Anna.
    I am known for my love of romance books. I also love pampering products and funky nail polish.

     
  • At 12:16 PM, Blogger ReadingIsSoMuchFun said…

    Hello Ann,

    Great exceprt :)

    My favorite thing is crafts & books.

    I am known for buying to many books *G* and doing craft projects. I been making bookthongs & beaded jewerly.

    Hugssss
    Linda.H.

     
  • At 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    1000 piece Jigsaw puzzles. I work 2 or 3 a week - the card table is set up permanently in the living room...

    Karen B

     
  • At 12:42 PM, Blogger Debbie At B's Purses said…

    My favorite things.....B's Purses.
    You must check it out. Design your own. Yes, I sell them but truely they are the hottest thing in home parties and fashion. You can check it out on my blog at bspurses.544.blogspot.com if you wish. I hope it's ok to put that on here. If not I am sure you can delete it. I would love to donate a bag for one of your giveaways if you are interesed.

     
  • At 1:30 PM, Blogger Pat L. said…

    Let' partay!

    One of my fav things are colorful oil paintings or prints. I dont think I have any more free wall space - but if I find something that strikes my fancy will have to find a spot. LOL.

     
  • At 1:47 PM, Blogger Cynthya said…

    I don't use a purse and I only have two pairs of shoes but I have thousands of books. I am just not interested in clothes or jewelry either but I can spend hours in a bookstore. Besides books, well, is there anything besides books? LOL

     
  • At 1:48 PM, Blogger Maureen said…

    Hi Anna!

    It has to be books, my camera, gardening and of course there's my love of chocolate.

     
  • At 1:56 PM, Blogger Minna said…

    My favorite thing is also books. Why else would I wish that I could translate them one of these days?

     
  • At 2:40 PM, Blogger ThatBrunette said…

    My husband and I are both collectors. When we find an author, we collect their entire body of work. Yes, that means we have a large collection of books! We bought a book database program (Readerware) to keep track.

    Thanks for the excerpt. I'm glad you're back blogging again!

     
  • At 3:11 PM, Blogger Jennifer Y. said…

    Great excerpt!

    One of my favorite things...besides romances...is Eeyore...I love the donkey from Winnie-the-Pooh.

     
  • At 3:12 PM, Blogger Jennifer Y. said…

    That database program sounds neat TB...I have a freeware one that I use.

     
  • At 5:47 PM, Blogger Anna Destefano said…

    Wow!! Wonderful things ladies (and gentleman ;o) Jack's a wonderful husband, don't you think!!!

    I love the individuality of colleting things. And those of you who mentioned special people in your lives being what you hold most dear--right on!!! It's all about people. My books are all about people. There's nothing more important in our lives than our relationships with the ones we love.

    And I never consider money as the deciding factor about whether something is valuable to me or not. The things I've inherited from family or have been given by friends are my very favorite memories of all.

    Glad everyone's in a party mood. Chat on, my friends, and come back tomorrow for more fun, a list of today's winners, another excerpt and new prizes!!!

     
  • At 6:10 PM, Blogger Carol M said…

    My favorite things are books, purses and shoes! No surprise there! lol

    Thanks for the excerpt! I enjoyed reading it!

     
  • At 6:19 PM, Blogger traveler said…

    thanks for this wonderful party and the great excerpt.
    My favorite items are photograph boxes which contain photos,keychains, and momentoes are that meaningful and special.

     
  • At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My favorite things are purses and shoes. I love the purses you have as prizes.
    Pat

     
  • At 8:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love to play cards and games. My mom and are very competitive and love to play each other.

    Love the excerpt.

     
  • At 9:49 PM, Blogger catslady said…

    Well books have always been my first love. I have 5 cats and temporarily watch my daughter's and take care of ferals. I also have a large collection of cups and cards from various vacations and friends and family now. We used to buy paintings from vacations but my daughter is now into art and we have run out of wall space lol.

    Great excerpt!

     
  • At 12:06 AM, Blogger Lindi said…

    Anna, This is going to be a great week. I love pictures. I have family/friends pictures all over my house. I also love books, and am starting to collect costume jewelry. All the colors are fun!!

     
  • At 7:44 AM, Blogger Fannie said…

    I really liked the excerpt. I am looking forward to the book. I collect books, coffee mugs, fridge magnets, candles and my grandchildren's pictures. I need a bigger house to hold all these things. I biggest weakness thoigh is music. I couldn't live without music. I have a huge collection plus I listen to radio, TV and computer music. Love the purses. Hugs to all.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home