Home | Meet Anna | Bookshelf | Coming Soon | Reviews | Articles | Contests | Appearences | Photos

Friday, April 20, 2007

The Big Finish!!!

Posting so late, so I'm giving everyone until Sunday morning to get their comments in for the final drawing. Besides, I'm out doing GRW stuff all day tomorrow. It's not like I'll be up for much more than checking in to see how everyone's doing once I get home tomorrow night.

Wow!!! I'm glad everyone enjoyed Derrick's scene. Of course, I'll have to give you one with Bailey now--she's fabulous, too. That's below, along with the final prizes--as promised, the final Coach Scribble wristlette is included. Keep in mind that next week, I'll start showing you the Coach goodies that will be auctioned off on Brenda Novak's JDRF site...GREAT stuff! Plus, my new website prize will be a Coach bag. So keep coming back for more info!

As for the last party topic, tell us what you just HAVE to do at lest once in your life. What don't you want out of this until you've accomplished? Even with all the good stuff you've had, what's the top-shelf dream you've been hiding away, a little afraid to drag out, because then you'd have to do something about it.

Me? I want a year off to experience the world. Go wherever I want. Do whatever I want. Just me and the man I love and a whole world to explore. No holding us back. No limits. Just do it and worry about the rest of life later. I want to be free, really free, and know I made the most of my chance. Of course, when it's all said and done, this homebody will be dying to come home to her own back yard and revel in the familiar...after all, there's no place like home, and nothing better after a long trip than a soft, comfy landing into what you left behind and have missed terribly (no matter how much fun you had while you were away ;o)

Okay, prizes from yesterday (woo-hoo to the ladies who won goodies at the Noveltalk chat, too):

Cas2ajs (cheryl), who posted at 6:10 pm, the Coach Umbrella is yours!!! And

The XOXO shoulder bag goes to RobynL, who posted at 12:50 am.

Send me your current snail mail addresses, ladies. I'm away on business for a week, so look for all this week's prizes to go out as soon as I return...might even have some RT goodies to stuff in the boxes ;o)

Final prizes, you ask? Here the are!!


Yoga Girl needs a good home. She promises to bring peace and calm to your travel make up regimine ;o) Her belly button cracks me up for some reason. The artist had a good time sticthing her onto the bag, me thinks.






And here's the final Coach Scribble wristlette--this one in a great green. I can't WAIT to hear how much fun someone has wearing it out!




And, as promised, one final All-American Father excerpt--Bailey's fallen for Derrick by now, but she's got a passle of problems of her own to deal with. Like the IRS audit that might bankrupt her grandmother's bed and breakfast, not to mention that the B&B is currently falling down around them. And, oh--a surprise visitor (Derrick's ex) who's not thrilled with Derrick's interest in making Bailey a part of his and his daughter's lives, is about to add even more trouble to her daily agenda ;o) Enjoy!!!

*********


"What now!" Bailey ranted at just before nine the following morning.


The second floor suit's shower was backed up, and their newlyweds' toilet had overflowed before breakfast. Setting aside the plunger with a growl, wiping her hands on her overalls as she left the shower to drown in it's own contrariness, she checked her watch and stomped downstairs in response to the front desk buzzer.


A calligraphy festooned note beside the device invited visitors to press it to speak to the staff. Without exception, people ignored both note and buzzer, except when Bailey was the only staff available, as was the case today.


Leave it to the IRS auditor to come the morning that Grams had gone in for an emergency root canal. And he was forty-five minutes early, to boot.


Correction, she was forty-five minutes early.


When Bailey reached the bottom of the stairs, a smartly dress woman was waiting less than patiently in the foyer. And she was still buzzing.


From the looks of her designer everything, right down to the hair color and highlights that could only be achieved after grueling hours at the spa, civil servants were doing pretty well for themselves these days. Then she turned at the sound of Bailey's approach. And instead of an IRS auditor, Bailey found herself staring open-mouthed at a Western High School homecoming queen, in all her grown-up glory.


"Amanda!" She checked her watch again. "What are you doing here?" The hint of horror in her voice made her wince. "I mean, Derrick mentioned you were coming for the game, but it's so early in the morning. And, well, I don't usually dress like this...well, actually I do..." She wiped at the wet patches running down her front, then smoothed her bangs back and flipped her ponytail, silently coveting the other woman's neatly coifed curls. "I don't always look like a drowned rat."


Stop it!


Stop talking like a clueless freshman, groveling at the feet of the most popular girl in the senior class.


Clearing her throat, she extended her hand.


"What brings you to The Gables?"


The question was as close to polite chitchat as Bailey could manage.


Amanda had contributed more than her share to Leslie's heartache and Derrick's out-of-control home life. And the woman's appearance at the inn, her glance of dismay at her less-than-glamorous surroundings, was already getting on Bailey's last nerve. The sooner they got this over with, the better.


"Why, I'm here for a room. One with a private bath, of course."


Okay, so much for better.


"I thought you'd be--"


"Staying with my family?" If Amanda's megawatt smile stretched any wider, she'd be nothing but gums. "Derrick thought it would be best that I not disrupt the girls' routine?"


"So he sent you right on over, did he?"


"Actually, no. He mentioned that you were baby sitting Leslie in the afternoons, I must admit I was intrigued. Your name sounded familiar, but I couldn't quite place you. The alumni Website included a link to this old place, and I just couldn't resist, once I saw how quaint it was. And you're so close to Derrick's, it's like it was meant to be."


"What a small world."


Bailey mentally decoded.


She was a nobody in high school. Her run-down B&B was convenient, because it was two blocks from Amanda's ex and their girls. But that didn't change the fact that Bailey was still a nobody, and Amanda was here to make sure she didn't forget it.


She stepped behind the desk.


"Let me see what we have available on such short notice. It's going to be a very busy weekend, I'm afraid."


It wasn't a complete lie. They were expecting quite a few guests, thanks to the homecoming festivities and the add she'd paid to sponsor on the alumni Website. Still, there were several rooms available, not that Amanda needed to know that.


"We only have one suite left. Unfortunately, its plumbing is currently on strike, and I haven't quite beat the shower into submission. But if I can't show it whose boss by tonight, I promise I'll call in a plumber. The original second-floor bathroom in the hall is perfectly lovely, though. You could use that in the mean time."


"Share a bathroom." Someone who'd been asked to strip naked and run through the halls couldn't have looked more shocked. "What kind of hotel is this?"


"A turn of the century Victorian, that doesn't take kindly to me rooting around in its pipes. I'm sorry I can't offer anything more accommodating." Bailey paused .When lightening didn't strike, she took it as permission to proceed. "But I can understand what you mean, about wanting to be as close as possible to your girls. If I were in your shoes, I'd do just about anything to have as much time with them as I could get."


"Yes, I miss them terribly." Amanda's eyes narrowed, but not her smile. "The room sounds lovely. Do you have someone who can take up my bags?"


She motioned to the two suitcases left just inside the door--for a three-day weekend.


"That would be me."


An idiot, who'd shamed the last woman on earth she wanted under her roof, into treating her like the hired help. All because she was feeling ridiculously jealous of someone she barely remembered. A woman Derrick had divorced over a year ago.


"As soon as I take an imprint of your credit card," she added. "I'll show you right up."


Amanda pulled a Gucci wallet from her Gucci purse, and removed a platinum card from its nest of friends.


"Um, we don't take American Express," Bailey said.


"Of course you don't." Amanda's empty laugh was the same put-down it had been when they were kids.


And let the good times roll!

Labels: , ,

32 Comments:

  • At 7:59 PM, Blogger Maureen said…

    Congratulations to the winners and thanks for another great excerpt. I would love to travel to different places, particularly places off the different path where you might learn something about this world of ours.

     
  • At 8:49 PM, Blogger Jennifer Y. said…

    Congrats winners!

    I want to travel as well...I have a list of places to see before I die and I hope to get to them. I would just love to leave the country...I have never been out of the US. I would also like to visit every US state at least once. Who knows if I will ever get to do any of this though?

     
  • At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congrats and awesome excerpt. I want to go live in Japan for a year.

     
  • At 9:01 PM, Blogger Cherie J said…

    Congrats winners! Great excerpt! Hubby and I have a list of places we want to travel to once our 2 little ones, both under the age of 4, are much older.

    Cherie Japp

     
  • At 9:31 PM, Blogger Lindi said…

    Of course I want to publish a book and I guess my dream would be to be a stay at home writer....that's the practical dream...the wild dream...well, that would have to be riding in a race car---I'd love to experience that.

     
  • At 10:11 PM, Blogger joelle said…

    To be able to travel the world, to experience the wonderful places, people and to broaden my horizons. That is my dream and wish. travel is enlightening and is so beneficial. I have dreamt of this and long for this opportunity.

     
  • At 10:18 PM, Blogger traveler said…

    Great excerpt. Love your writing and characters. My ultimate wish would be to travel to many fascinating and interesting destinations. From my first time ever traveling I realized the importance of its power and magic.

     
  • At 10:18 PM, Blogger Fannie said…

    There's not a lot that I ever wanted to do that I haven't already done. I was very fortunate that my late husband indulged me in anything I wanted to do. There are two things I still want to do. 1. Travel to Alaska and 2. Go for a ride in the #20 Home Depot Chevy with Tony Stewart. Then I believe I would be happy. Of course, having enough money to live comfortably would be a third thing on my list. The excerpts are great but the book is even more so. It's fantastic. Have a great week-end and Hugs to all. Congrats to all the winners.

     
  • At 10:25 PM, Blogger ellie said…

    I realize now that when I was young it was not possible to travel, since finances prevented this and then a family. Now that I am all grown up I want to enjoy the experience of a lifetime and travel to all the farflung places that I have read about and thought about for years.

     
  • At 10:31 PM, Blogger diane said…

    When I was very young I traveled with my family to Italy but since then I have been busy with school and responsibilities. When I graduate soon, the best gift that I can give myself is the gift of exploring new places and discovering the beaauty out there. I know that I will appreciate this chance.
    Your excerpts are enthralling, thanks.

     
  • At 10:41 PM, Blogger pearl said…

    Excellent excerpts. Love your message today. Always a joy.
    I would enjoy spending summers in a beach house by the ocean. The soothing environment is so appealing. The rest of the year it would be enticing to travel. My fervent wish is to see more of the world.

     
  • At 10:52 PM, Blogger Ellory said…

    Oh. like something on my life list. I've been thinking about that a lot since I've been watching the Ellen DeGeneres show.

    We are doing something that I've always wanted to do .. visit Australia - we are here for a year so I'm enjoying it.

    I really want to have an extended period of time to go traveling. I want to see Antarctica (the penguins and glaciers) and visit Alaska and hike around Denali.

     
  • At 11:03 PM, Blogger Kathleen said…

    Congrats of course to the new winners!

    And another great excerpt!! I really enjoy traveling. Anywhere and everywhere!

     
  • At 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love the excerpt! Congrats winners!! I want to take my little girl to Disneyland!

    Linda G

     
  • At 9:50 AM, Blogger Cheryl said…

    Thanks for the umbrella and congrats to RobynL on her win also. The one thing I'd really like to do is travel to Scotland and see the interior of a castle.
    Another great excerpt.

    Cheryl

     
  • At 10:28 AM, Blogger sharon said…

    Great excerpt and prizes. Impressive writing. I would enjoy being able to travel leisurely to special chosen areas that I know would make a big impact upon my perspective of the world, and my future.

     
  • At 10:32 AM, Blogger Minna said…

    Congrats winners!
    There are so many places where I'd like to go: Japan, U.S.A., Canada, Italy...

     
  • At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations to the winners and thank you for the great excerpt.

    Like most of the others, I would love to travel more, especially spend time in Australia and Germany.

    Shari C

     
  • At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My big dream is to start my own rock band. I love to sing and I'd love to see if I could actually make a go of it.

     
  • At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    CONGRATS TO THE WINNERS! MY DREAM WOULD BE TO BE INDEPENDENTLY WEALTHY SO I COULD SPEND ALL MY TIME WITH MY WIFE.
    JACK

     
  • At 12:53 PM, Blogger ThatBrunette said…

    For those who missed the chat, much fun was had. Make sure you try for the next one!

    The Yoga girl bag is adorable! Anna, you find the best purses.

    Thanks for all the excerpts, I can't wait to start reading the book.

     
  • At 1:14 PM, Blogger robynl said…

    thanks for the win and congrats to Cheryl.
    I would love to rent a houseboat for a week and just soak up the sun and laze around.

     
  • At 1:16 PM, Blogger Carol M said…

    Congrats to the winners!

    Thanks, Anna, for the great excerpts!

     
  • At 4:11 PM, Blogger catslady said…

    congratulations to the winners and thanks for all the wonderful excerpts.

    I would be happy if both my daughters lives were settled. One graduated college and is engaged but has not found a job in her career choice - so she's at least almost there lol.

    My other daughter is in the art field and is having problems figuring out what to do. She has about a year and a half of college so far. At the moment she's dating an artist who is a lot older than her.

     
  • At 4:13 PM, Blogger Sue A. said…

    Congrats to the winners!

    I'm feeling it for Bailey. How much worst can it get for her?

     
  • At 8:30 PM, Blogger alissa said…

    travel is definitely a priority in my life since I love to. Since I have been married only two years and have law school loans to pay off for the next 30 years I must wait for that to take place but I dream everyday of that day. I just love your excerpts and your precious prizes.

     
  • At 10:58 PM, Blogger principessa said…

    Since my husband has worked hard his entire life with hardly ever time off for enjoyment it is time to smell the coffee and enjoy the scenery elsewhere. It would be extremely meaningful to take this journey together for our upcoming anniversary. Travel is something to share with someone you are devoted to and with someone you cherish. These memories will last you a lifetime and be worth treasuring.

     
  • At 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    THE TWO THINGS i JUST NEED TO DO IN MY LIFETIME ARE:
    WRITE AND PUBLISH A BOOK AND
    RENT A CAMPER AND TAKE SEVERAL MONTHS OFF AND TRAVEL WITH MY FAMILY ACROSS THE UNITED STATES. THERE ARE SO MANY PLACES I'M DYING TO STILL SEE. I THINK THIS WOULD BE WONDERFUL.
    SANDRA M

     
  • At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I hate that I've missed so much of the fun this week. I've had sick little ones. On the up side we are all better now, and I got my copy of All-American Father yesterday from Amazon. Yay!

    Congratulations to all the winners!

    Hugs, Zara

     
  • At 6:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Congrats to the winners! Great excerpt!

     
  • At 8:23 PM, Blogger Karen G said…

    Congratulations to all the winners. I enjoyed the excerpt very much. I would love to go on a cruise someday. Any place warm would be very nice.

     
  • At 9:45 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I started All-American Father last night and it's amazing so far! I wish I could just stay home to finish it today. I think I got my blogger account straightened out, so hopefully this message will go through. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home