Home | Meet Anna | Bookshelf | Coming Soon | Reviews | Articles | Contests | Appearences | Photos

Friday, March 23, 2007

Less...

It's a big day around RWA tomorrow...the Rita and Golden Heart finalists are announced. These are the most prestegious romance contests there are. Nationally--internationally--thousands of wannabes and published folks send in their offerings, are judged, and what gets spat back out are a very lucky few finalists who then have to wait months to find out if they've won the prize.

Backstory--gonna dump it here, because I'm too tired today to weave it into a pleasant vignette. To final, you typically have to meet the ideal standard of whatever type of book you write. Be pleasing to readers of your sub-genre, across the board. Each unpublished manuscript and book are judged by no less than five judges, and these days you have to get a perfect score from just about everyone to make it to the final round (American Idol has nothing on RWA, when it comes to odds AGAINST anyone, even the very talented, getting through). And, for those of us who rock the boat and paint outside the lines, that means "announcement day" can be a cause for mourning and feeling left out.

And so has been the case with me on many a years past. When I thought I should have finalled, both unpublished and published--nadda. When I least expected it, I did actually final, and in fact went on to win the GH in '03. Really, my heroine was terminally ill throughout most of that manuscript. It WASN'T supposed to win the long contemporary category. Go figure.

So, as I sit on my deck and listen to the birdies sing this afternoon, I'm making a pact with myself and all others who are long-shots...to relish the fact that less is more. Really, in this case, the quest for more is just not worth getting my panties in a wad over. I write for a category (read, VERY happily-ever-after focused) sub-genre, and I write about overcoming grief and loss and abuse and trauma. I'm as close to womens' fiction as you can get under the Harlequin imprint...and that's pretty damn amazing, when you stop to think about it. I'm blessed to have my books out there and being read and being appreciated for what they are--a different way to HEA. My way.

Less is more. A lot more in my case... So there's almost assuredly no golden statue in my future. So what! If you're going to swim upstream, you can't pout at the fishes taking a different route. Keep swimming and enjoy the ride, and wave as they sometimes pass you by.

Less...it's only less if you let yourself or someone else compare what you have to what you have not. Ignoring what you "have not" isn't settling or giving up. It's not about no ambition or no desire. It's about focusing on where YOU want to go, instead of what you don't need to get there.

Fight, but fight for you, not for the illusive golden thing that, once you have it in your grasp, won't be the destination you're really looking for. Yes, we have to enjoy the happy surprises along the way. I'd love to win one of those golden ladies one day. But finalling or winning won't define my fight or my success or even my lovely Spring Saturday...

Sigh...

Besides, less worrying about the Ritas means more time to look at the handbags I've been drooling over for my April release party ;o)

You tell me which is most critical right now!!!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • At 2:04 PM, Blogger ThatBrunette said…

    If you're going to swim upstream, you can't pout at the fishes taking a different route.

    My husband and I love the phrase. We're going to try to incorporate it (and waving to other fishes) in the future.

     
  • At 9:27 AM, Blogger Carol M said…

    Looking at the purses is much more important! lol You are successful and happy in what you do so winning is just a bonus! :)

     
  • At 12:33 PM, Blogger robynl said…

    Deck sitting and listening to the birdies sounds so relaxing. I am looking forward to doing that in the near future here.

     
  • At 3:17 PM, Blogger catslady said…

    Goodness I just love your outlook on things. Thanks for the upbeat blog!!!!

     
  • At 6:23 AM, Blogger Maureen said…

    You write stories that deal with issues that are relavant to women today. If that's not worthy of an award then the award can't be that important.

     
  • At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Truthfully, as an aspiring writer, I can't even imagine being published, let alone win awards. I think that you're really being very wise about not letting the pursuit of these awards matter too much. I mean, when you put things in perspective, you're already a winner because a major publisher is printing your work and thousands of other writers out there are being published at all... like poor me!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home