Home | Meet Anna | Bookshelf | Coming Soon | Reviews | Articles | Contests | Appearences | Photos

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Diary of a Writer On The Road: Day 1, Up And Out By 4 a.m.

Yes!! 4:00 A. M. So whatever you thought about pampered writers and their lazy bon-bon filled days of bubble-bath luxury, get your head straight and join me in my early morning yawn ;O)

Picture it. Thursday morning, Interstate asphalt churning beneath my nifty new tires. I'm somewhere between home and Maryland, driving with one hand and typing on my laptop (thank you, lovely wireless Internet card) with the other. A Big Gulp of icey caffination is balanced in my lap, nestled beside the KK (that's a Krispy Kreme donught, those of you who didn't teeth on the lovely southern pastries as a child), and the sun is poking it's head over the eastern horizon. My secretary (lovely muscles there, Fabio) is duitifully keying in my perfect prose for my next literary masterpiece as I dictate, and Rob Thomas is jamming from the back seat (saves wear and tear on my Dolby speakers if he simply comes along for the ride, rather than piping him in via my CD player). Ahhh, I love road trips, don't you!!

Okay, so that's not exactly what's going on in my car as I weave my way past Charlotte, NC, but what's a writer to do but paint the ideal picture for her blog guests to savor? I personally am drooling more over Rob Thomas and the KK than Fabio (when I need a hit of muscles, I drool over my favorite Italian cover model, Peter Decicco), but sometimes cliches are the best way to lock the reader onto an instant image.

So, what's your travel dream scenerio? Who's riding shotgun when you're getting the heck out of Dodge? Are you ready for a Lampoon vacation right about now, or is a Thelma & Louise get out or die excursion more what you need?

Needing to get away from something isn't always bad. It makes coming back and doing what's got to be done later a little easier to bear, I think.

The hero and heroine in my July Super, The Prodigal's Return, need to get away. I'm working on PR stuff for that book, so they're in my head and insisting that I come up with something catchy about summer getaways... Will let you know when Rob and Fabio hit on just the right image for me to take credit for ;O)

3 Comments:

  • At 3:33 PM, Blogger Jennifer Y. said…

    Mmm...Krispy Kreme.

     
  • At 9:22 AM, Blogger Cinthia Hamer said…

    Hey, Anna, what a great dream roadtrip! :) Mine would be a wee bit different...I've always wanted to just hit the road all by myself with just me, my laptop (in my fantasy I have wireless!) and a digital camera.

    Being by myself means I can make potty stops whenever I want, stop to read those frustrating "historical markers" along the side of the road, take detours to little out-of-the-way places and not have to worry about a passenger getting annoyed with my meanderings.

    I'd start out here at home, then drive southwest to see our own Little Grand Canyon. From there, I'd hang a right, and head northeast to the Shenandoah Parkway and head for our Nation's Capital. I'd spend a few days wandering around, taking pictures and notes, visit the Smithsonian and when I'd had my fill, I'd head north along the Atlantic seaboard and stop at every little place that caught my eye. I'd finish up in Maine, where I'd eat lobster and take pictures of moose.

    For music on my trip, it would be an eclectic mix of Andrea Bocelli, The Beach Boys, The Eagles, Dean Martin, Lila Downs, Pink Martini, and Eliades Ochoa.

    Food is definitely a sit down affair, no eating junk food out of one hand while driving. I'd sample the most wonderful things each place has to offer...from barbeque in Tennessee to crabcakes in Maryland and hotdogs on Coney Island. :)

     
  • At 11:30 AM, Blogger Willena said…

    Put down the laptop! No tapping on keys while driving. Put down the laptop. You must live to publish another day!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home