Home | Meet Anna | Bookshelf | Coming Soon | Reviews | Articles | Contests | Appearences | Photos

Friday, April 28, 2006

The Truth About Lightning

The first process in the generation of lightning is the forcible separation of positive and negative charge carriers within a cloud or air...
--Wikipedia Online Encyclopedia

Eh??? Yeah, I know, what does that have to do with our lovely little world?
.
.
Well, as a follow-up on my meandering post on falling into the light, I thought we'd chat a bit about the complicated beauty of lightning. That's what it feels like to hit gold while you're revising a story. You've worked for hours, days, weeks to get the draft done. You know it's not what you want yet, so you keep digging. Negative thouhts keep piling on those you've already beaten away.

"You CAN make this good," you say with as much positive energy as you can muster.

"Um, have you looked at this CRAP lately?" negative-and-not-giving-up counters.

"Yeah, well, I'm not stopping, so there!!" Okay, at this point you're sounding pretty childish, but it's the inner child that LOVES lightning, right (even if you're also kinda afraid of it, the power and beauty of that amazing flash of light sucks you in every time).

Then if you keep going, as I am today even if my flash is still hiding amidst the 300 pages of drivel I'm pouring over...one day...FLASH!!!! The positive clashes with the negative...the energy splits just right...and you hit on something amazing.

The key I think, in life and in writing, is to keep going--no surprise there, since I rant about this all the time--but also to see the negative energy as necessary and vital to the end result. Without the negative, the positive charge couldn't produce such an amazing show. If you use negative thoughts to challenge yourself to keep digging for the light, to find positive energy to counter it, then you've got it made!!! It's only a matter of time before something beautiful happens ;O)

I'm away this morning to recharge my positive side. Hope you take a few minutes to do the same. Then off we'll go, fighting for the lightning that makes the world such an amazing place!!!

9 Comments:

  • At 10:16 AM, Blogger Fannie said…

    We all need to recharge every now and then. I did that earlier this week. I now feel like a new person. I am not a writer but I can imagine what you go through with every book. The doubts, the "it's no good's" and why am I doing this phases.Then it all comes together for a fantastic book and you sigh with relief. I have watched you go through this with every one of your books. The end result? perfect. So keep pushing those negatives away. Hugs and have a great week-end.

     
  • At 5:57 PM, Blogger Danica Favorite said…

    Wow, Anna, that's great! I'm going to have to chalk you right up there as my inspiration.

     
  • At 9:55 PM, Blogger Missy Tippens said…

    I love the lightning analogy! Keep the positive stuff coming!

    Hope you enjoyed your day of recharing. :)

    Missy

     
  • At 9:56 PM, Blogger Missy Tippens said…

    I guess you realized I meant to say "recharging". Sorry for the typo! LOL

    Missy

     
  • At 2:38 AM, Blogger felinewyvern said…

    I love the way you say to use the negative energy to enhance the positive - now if only I can manage to apply that to my own life :D

     
  • At 7:07 AM, Blogger Diane Pollock said…

    Great analogy!

     
  • At 9:45 AM, Blogger Willena said…

    That's a great pep talk that I really needed today, wallowing as I am in the "muddled middle" of a paper I'm writing for a class. It must be finished today, for today is the last day of the semester. But I dreamed overnight about something it needs--I think that was part of the positive coming out of the negative.

     
  • At 10:47 AM, Blogger Anna Destefano said…

    Wow!! I love it when a group gets inspired ;O)

    Fannie, your support is always needed. Never doubt that!!

    Dream!!!! I miss you so much on the Superromance eHar. board. Glad to have you hanging out in the blog. Ladies, Dream has the most BEAUTIFUL little girl...not so little now, I suppose, huh, since I saw her last almost, good grief, a year ago.

    Everyone, Missy T is one of this year's Golden Heart finalists--the top unpublished romance award in the country...round of much-deserved applause for Misy!!!!

    The day of recharging was great. Of course, there was plenty of stress waiting for me back home. But I have this lovely memory to look back on as I wright amidst the stacks of books in the public library today. And I've made with myself to return to my favorite "recharge" spot once the book is done ;O)

    Keep the positive off-setting and sparking against the negative in whatever part of your life is at play--school, kids, husbands, careers, dreams...you can do it!!!

     
  • At 7:22 PM, Blogger thewriterslife said…

    I agree with Fannie. We all need to recharge once in awhile...get away...chill for awhile. It really does the brain good. And, I also love the lightning analogy!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home