Home | Meet Anna | Bookshelf | Coming Soon | Reviews | Articles | Contests | Appearences | Photos

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Back to School Shopping, a BN winner, and some Spice!!!

It's great to hear you are LOVING AAF as much as I am...Derrick and Bailey are really bonding in the pages I'm writing now (in a disfunctional sort of way, of course, or what would be the point of reading the rest of the book ;O)

Don't know if you noticed, but this continuity series (Single...With Kids) is going to have a lighter tone than a lot of my stories. It's been a blast, digging for more of the funny (or at least the smart-ass) in my WIP than I usually do. Can't wait to get the draft done, so I can go back and mine for even more quirky moments amidst my trademark emotion! I might just have to come up with one more scene to share...then look for the series to begin in February--All American Father debuts in April.

Where was I yesterday, you ask? Well, I was writing in the car, as we hauled the family to an outlet mall for our annual back-to-school shopping extravaganze. My son needed everything from the feet up, and we found some great bargains. Plus it's tax-free shopping time in GA--anything that counts as back to school is tax-free through this weekend.

So, to do my part to recharge the economy, I suffered through a little shopping of my own, LOL!!! I thought you'd like to see what I'm wearing back to school this year ;O)

Remember me raving about Isabelle Fiore purses ('cause everyone wants to know what kind of bag I like to carry)? Well, this one was marked way, way down at the Saks outlet--sooo marked down I couldn't let it go. Made the manager pull it down off a shelf where it had been waiting out of prying eyes just for me to wander up and find it. If you see me this fall, I'll be wearing it until it falls apart (which it won't, becuse this designer's creations last forever).

And not to be out-shined, the outlet's shoe department was having a lovely sale as well, or so the man on the loud speaker kept saying. What kind of shopper would I be if I didn't follow his lead and go check out the goods?

Did I mention we'd wandered into Saks to find my husband some deeply discounted shirts from his favorite brand??? Oh, the trials of being a bargain-shopping guru (picture me with the back of my hand resting over my perspiring brow, a long-suffering expression taking over as my eyes close in exhaustion). Yeah, right! In reality, my enthusiasm for finding the right thing at the right price is so contagious, my dh even looks forward to the fun each year!

Any way, for conferences and appearances I attend to promote my books, I've found the best dress shoes to be Stewart Weitzmans. They're beautiful, and beautifully constructed so that you can stand in them for hours and still feel like you're wearing your sneakers. It doesn't hurt that heels work better for me than flats, because I have uber-high arches. Usually, SW's are too expensive for my budget...unless I find a kick-ass sale...and, boy, did I find one yesterday!!

Just look at this pair I tossed into my "school" cart as soon as I'd tried them on!!!! I actually wore them to dinner last night--had to break them in before the next reader event, right??? Aren't they amazing cool!!! They looked just right with my low-rise jeans and, of course, the IF bag. Mixing and matching patterns might not be for the faint of heart, but I'm really getting into the latest trend to do just that (or maybe the trends have finally caught up with my wacky sense of style ;O)

Yeah, yeah, I had a good time. But what about the winner of Brenda Novak's RWA conference goodies? I could hear your toes tapping the whole time I was shopping for these and other necessities...The magic hand pulls a name from the bag full of blog commenters, and the winner is...Carol!!!!

Email me your snail mail address, sweetie, so my shipping department (that is, my wonderful husband with a mail room at his office) can get it out to you next week.

And as promised, I have another RWA conference gift set I scored for my online faithful. Harlequin's launching a new erotica line in trade paperback. Here's one of the first books in the imprint, along with a tote bag they were giving away at the signing (also at the Romantic Times conference I attended in May). I'll draw a name from new comments left between now and the end of the week (note: if erotica's not your thing, no worries...the winner can choose something else from the books and things I brought back, if this prize doesn't mesh with her reading preferences).


The next prize to look forward to after this one??? How about a signed copy of one of my favorite Susan Elizabeth Phillps books, Ain't She Sweet? I also have early releases of some of the new paranormal Eclipse novels Harlequin's launching in Feb., as well as a tote bag they gave away at that signing...but you're going to have to wait for that one for a while ;O) How's that for teasing, my lovies, LOL!!!!

To all who keep flooding my blog and email with lovely feedback about The Prodigal's Return, thank you more than I can say. Dana and other's who've told me, letting me know the story was real enough to make you cry (and laugh) on your way to the uplifting ending, you've made my week!!!

Okay, everyone with kids (or who've done the parent thing in the past), tell us some of your back-to-school shopping stories. And even if you don't have kids, take my word for it, we all need to occasionally partake in the spree that shopping can be. My son had the best time running around Saks helping me find things to try on, after we'd spent hours in the Gap and Adidas stores shopping for him. It was a lovely family moment (maybe one only my kooky family could enjoy, but let's just say my men love me, so they've learned how to love the bargain shopping that comes with me ;O)

31 Comments:

  • At 3:42 PM, Blogger Estella said…

    I had four kids(2 boys, 2 girls) and I absolutely hated school shopping. I was so glad when the were old enough to go on their own!

     
  • At 6:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    We went school shopping for my niece this weekend. We found a lot of good sales too. Macy's had a good sale going on.

     
  • At 8:42 PM, Blogger Jennifer Y. said…

    Wow, great loot you picked up Anna!

     
  • At 9:36 PM, Blogger Angie-la said…

    OMG!! That bag and those shoes are to die for!!!
    We experienced the GA tax-tree school shopping today. What a madhouse!! There is only one mall in Columbus...(the largest city near us) and it was packed. The younger spawn is starting high school this year-(tomorrow!!) and of course we had to do the Hollister/American Eagle thing.
    AE was ok, but Hollister is
    1. Too small
    2. Too dark
    3. Too loud
    4. Too crowded

    We did get some good sales at AE, though!!

     
  • At 9:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Anna,

    Love the shoes - they are too cool. I just took my son last weekend for back to school shopping. I had to call in reinforcements - grandma. My son, who is five, hates shopping for clothes and unfortunately he's a hard fellow to fit so he does have to try things on. So the whole trip went like this - okay try on two more things then we'll hit the play area - okay one more store then the toy store - I promise just one more store and then the pretzel shack!
    It took awhile, but we got it done. And afterwards, we all went minature golfing!

     
  • At 10:34 PM, Blogger Andrew McAllister said…

    My kids usually run and hide when I say it's time to go back-to-school shopping because it means it is nearly time for summer vacation to be over. But for the first time ever my 14-year-old daughter WANTS to do the shopping because she's excited about entering high school in the fall. I want to know what the aliens did with my real daughter and who this imposter is!

    To Love, Honor and Dismay

     
  • At 10:47 PM, Blogger catslady said…

    Congrats Carol!

    I have one daughter in college and one graduating next week from college. So no more back-to-school days for me and I'm thrilled lol.

     
  • At 10:55 PM, Blogger Anna Destefano said…

    LOL!!! Everyone's stories are reassuring. So different, but all of us doing what we think is right for our kids.

    Andrew, waiting for my son to hit his teenage stride and then not want to be seen in publick with his parents had me cherishing every minute we have his still-fun self haning with us.

    Sandra, my son's reward was the KB Toys outlet, and then ice cream at the food court. Luckily, we don't have a hard time fitting him in anything but shoes, so that cuts down on the wrestling in public ;O)

    Angie, designer duds for the kiddo is something we haven't experience yet. I want clothes not to be an issue, so we try and keep up with the latest styles when we stock up. But for my guy, comfort is key. He's wants soft fabric, tags that dont itch, waistbands that don't bind, and something cool on the t-shirt. Other than that he's conveniently easy to please. I'm not really expecting that to last, but I'll take it while I've got it.

    Best blog ever, wow!!! Glad everyone's digging it. I'll chat about shopping fetishes anytime you guys like ;O) Those of you who don't share the joy, I totally understand. I was raised by a mother who's idea of a shopping spree was, "Here's two shirts, pick one, and make it quick." And I grew up in a town with one department store chain (Belk) and one indpendent. And this was back before the day when K-Mart and Wallmart had much of a selection to choose from (personally, Target's my discount store of choice nowadays--killer yoga gear in the workout department). So as a girl I read my grandmother's Vogues and dreamed of sifting through racks of designer fair...the fact that now I get to, even if it's at an outlet mall, makes the little girl in me giggle.

    'Kay, as you can see I've reached my page cout quota for the night. I'm off to catch up on a few more emails. Toodles, everone!!

     
  • At 10:57 PM, Blogger Anna Destefano said…

    Okay, that would be "public," Andrew. Stop laughing at the writer with tired, tired hands ;O)

     
  • At 11:56 PM, Blogger Minna said…

    Congrats Carol!

     
  • At 7:52 AM, Blogger Maureen said…

    First of all what a great purse and shoes. My daughter would love your purse. Back to school shopping with my daughter was always crazy with her piling clothes over my arm as
    she went through the store but then when she tried them on sometimes she didn't like anything so on we went to the next store. My teenage son can be just as picky.

     
  • At 8:01 AM, Blogger Carol M said…

    Thank you so much Anna! I'm thrilled to have won Brenda Novak's RWA conference goodies!

    Thank you Jeanne and Minna for the congrats!

    I love getting bargains. It sounds like you had a great shopping day. It's been a long time since I've had to do any back to school shopping! lol Now I shop for gifts for my grandchildren.

     
  • At 9:51 AM, Blogger Meljprincess said…

    CONGRATULATIONS, CAROL!

    I love those leopard print shoes. I also love the SPICE tote and the GEISHA book. *g* I saw it earlier on the web and wondered, if it's called THE BLONDE GEISHA, why doesn't the woman on the cover have blonde hair? Things that make ya go hmmm...

     
  • At 9:54 AM, Blogger Anna Destefano said…

    Is triply a word??? I know you're asking me, Linda!! I'm the one who can't think and type and spell at the same time, if I'm not dialed into my current manuscript, remember? I live for the day Blogspot adds spell-checking to their software.

    Ah, Jack. Keeping husbands on their bargain-shopping toes...one of my special gifts ;O)

     
  • At 9:56 AM, Blogger Anna Destefano said…

    Mel, I wondered the same thing, though the cover is lovely and eye-catching...

     
  • At 11:27 AM, Blogger Jennifer Y. said…

    I need to go shopping with you Anna! LOL

     
  • At 12:00 PM, Blogger Jennifer Y. said…

    Oh, I just got the mail (it was held last week while I was on vacation) and my prize from the launch party was in it! Thanks so much Anna! It is beautiful!

     
  • At 3:03 PM, Blogger robynl said…

    congrats Carol. Love the 'Spice' tote.

     
  • At 3:23 PM, Blogger Carol M said…

    Thank you Mel, Tam and Robynl!

     
  • At 3:34 PM, Blogger Anna Destefano said…

    Ooooh, I'm seeing a trend. Maybe we need to plan a shopping spree for the next reader event a bunch of us can make it to ;O)

     
  • At 10:15 PM, Blogger Lindi said…

    Anna,

    I love the purse. You better hide it at the next GRW meeting I see you at.

    Great blog!!

     
  • At 9:04 AM, Blogger Meljprincess said…

    I agree, Anna. She's really pretty and the cover is great. It also reminds me of MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA. That cover's gorgeous too.

     
  • At 11:12 AM, Blogger Dena said…

    I usually don't like animal print,but those shoes are great.To find a heel that is comfortable is a big added bonus.You really must make shoping fun if your 2 men love doing it with you Anna.It's so sweet that your son was running to get you clothes to try on!I wish they had that tax free shopping in Washington too,no fair.

    I have one daughter and when she was younger it was a lot more nerve racking because she had to try everything on and she wasn't a neat changer.There would be hangers and clothes all over the dressing room floor and it was hell trying to figure out what went with what. The older she got the easier it has been,except now we have the problem with her wanting more revealing clothes and thongs!When she was around 14 she wanted to get some and I'm thinking no way your too young.Now she's 17 and I let her pick out her intimate apparel,less fighting that way,lol.

    Congrats Carol.

     
  • At 3:45 PM, Blogger tastefully yours said…

    The dreaded school shopping! I always go to the outlets to by my kids their tennis shoes and their everyday shoes as I always find better deals. Last year it took my kids over 2 hours and countless stores to find 4 pair of shoes total. It was very nerve racking! I figured this year I would plan on the longer time and what a surprise 2 stores and thirty minutes later we had 4 pairs of shoes. Can I be so lucky next year? Therefore Mom got to do some shopping for herself! :)

     
  • At 4:39 PM, Blogger Jennifer Y. said…

    I always hated back-to-school clothing shopping as a kid...I liked shopping for school supplies though (weird huh?). I hate trying things on at the store.

     
  • At 1:01 PM, Blogger J said…

    Anna, you're so good at sniffing out the gold at sales! The Isabelle Fiore purse and SW shoes are trendy and classy.

     
  • At 2:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    My little girl started first grade today. She was excited about her new class, new clothes, and new school supplies. I am the one that has separation anxiety lol! My son will start school next year. My babies are growing up! I'm happy and sad at the same time.

    I love the purse! It is gorgeous! And the shoes are too cute!

    Congrats to Carol as well!

     
  • At 10:58 AM, Blogger CrystalGB said…

    Cool purse and shoes Anna! You are such a good bargain shopper.
    I don't have children yet but I love the good sales they have for back to school. :)

     
  • At 9:33 PM, Blogger ThatBrunette said…

    I'm not much of a shoe person but, I really like those shoes! Did you have an outfit in mind when you bought them? Ah, the outlets. Much shopping fun.

    Oh, I got my BN card the other day. The post-it pad is really cute!

     
  • At 10:22 PM, Blogger Pat L. said…

    I just love the cover of Prodigal. Will have to get a copy.

     
  • At 10:04 AM, Blogger Pat L. said…

    Congrats, Carol. Are you Shamrock?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home