Home | Meet Anna | Bookshelf | Coming Soon | Reviews | Articles | Contests | Appearences | Photos

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Fortunately...

...You guys are wonderful readers and friends and don't mind authors going AWOL from time to time as needed.

Yeah, lots going on I won't bore you with, but the travelling and distractions from the writing that have also been putting the no-go on blogging have netted some great times (RWA Nationals was a blast, and I'm off to teach at The University of Georgia this weekend) and a chance to immerse my muse in some fabulous reading.

The times I've been en-route and haven't been able to (read, had the engergy to) power up the laptop were filled with catching up on my favorite authors, and there's lots more new releases to come in August (once the Potter mania has died down). So, to keep you with me (in spirit, even if you can't chill in the airport or hotel with me), I'll be posting reviews from time to time...while I continue to give away great Romantic Times Conference goodies...and, you know, chat about whatever motivational things happen to weigh on my mind while I'm at it, because who doesn't need a high-five every now and then.

So, look for more giveaway pics below, the names of some new winners (congrats and send me your snail mail addies and give me a week to pony express your prizes to you)...but first...fortunately...

I received The Unfortunate Miss Fortunes (http://www.unfortunatemissfortunes.com/homepage.php) in the mail a few weeks back--Jenni Crusie was asking for active bloggers who'd like to review her latest collaboration and I was lucky enough to be one of the 100 or so sites picked.

Reading any of my excerpts, you might guess that romantic comedy isn't the innate gift that fuels my creativity. I try not to depress folks too much, and there's alwas a touch of smart ass in what I do...but I'm an angsty girl at heart and while I make it work, you might want to have a few tissues handy when you read my stories... that said, my hat's off to authors who have the wit and intelligence and vision to tell emotionally compelling, accessable stories while making the reader laugh her ass off at the same time.

And let me just say...the Jennifer Crusie, Eileen Dreyer and Anne Stuart collab accomplishes this and then some. This won't be a "spoiler" review, because I want to you head out today--sprint, actually--to your nearest bookbuying place and snag your own copy. Consider this a "reading this will fix whatever ails ya' " review. Because the three separate but intertwined stories that make up this collaboration are, as the cover suggests, magical.

Open the book to any page, do it, and you'll immediately fall into the light and energy these authors spun into their characters--three magical sisters who can't control their powers or their hearts or the men their future happiness depends on. Dee (Dryer), Lizzie (Stuart) and Mare (Crusie) are independent, loyal and quirky young women whose misfiring powers are becoming too obvious to hide, even in the all things paranormal-friendly town of Salem's Fork. Throw in an evil Aunt, Xan (Crusie, also, I suspect) , who want's to strip them of their powers and isn't above using the men of the sisters' dreams to get the job done, and you can imagine how quickly The Unfortunate Miss Fortunes takes off and leaves you breathless with all you want to know.

The first few scenes knock you off balance (intentionally, I suspect, because the sisters' magical dilemmas are like nothing you and I could imagine) as you try to absorb the images and backstory being sprinkled in from three different points of view. You might find yourself backtracking a bit to be sure you've caught everything. But you won't mind, not really, not when Dryer's painting a delightful image of what it must be like to transform into an owl and be hovering on top of a wardrobe lusting after the hunky guy below while you hope against hope that you don't shift back to human form (possibly in the guise of the guy's naked mother, which is what you tend to turn into every time the sexual tensions heats up with any man) before you get a chance to fly away--seriously, not kidding, and somehow she makes it work...one of the funniest scenes in the book...

The action and comedy and hot relationships surrounding the sisters' fight to keep their secrets, their powers, and eventually their men are reason enough to buy this book and reread it until you catch every nuance. But do it for another reason--these are master storytellers who know how to play your emotions and show you what you're capable of feeling if you were in these characters' shoes. This is at its heart a story of three sisters trying to find themselves and still hold on to the only family they have left. Endearing. Real. These women fight for each other. They're the kind of people we'd like to be, and their committment to one another is the true magic that holds their intertwining stories together.

I suspect the authors bonded quite deeply as they wrote and rewrote and rewrote the countless times it must have taken to pull a project like this off. Boggles the mind how they managed to so seemlessly knit their work together into a cohesive story. But they stuck together and fortunately made it work--don't miss your chance to see just how fabulous a job they did. Now go buy the book--do it!!!

Oh, and I'm tagging fellow author and Crusie fan Tanya Micahels (another goddess at writing comedy that touches your soul while tickling your funny bone)--check out her blog, where she'll be posting her own review any day now: http://www.tanyamichaels.blogspot.com/

Okay--'nough of the raving about my latest read...

Winners from the comments left for the last post:

Flip--who posted at 4:59 pm and

Lifeasamama--who posted at 8:18 am

Send me your snail mail addies, folks--RT goodies coming your way!!!!

What about the rest of the stuff, you ask??? There were great tote bags from TOR at this year's conference (I snagged several for you guys) and the ususal book giveaways you drool over at every RT...gotta get rid of all of it...any takers out there??? Leave a comment to be in the drawing (there's lots o' stuff, including the goodies in the last post's pics, so don't give up)--if blogger won't let you log in (grrrr), leave your thoughts anon with your name in the post.

Later!!! ;o)






Labels: , , , ,

26 Comments:

  • At 1:04 PM, Blogger Maureen said…

    Jennifer Crusie is a wonderful author. Her new story looks interesting.

    Throw my name into your new contest for the wonderful goodies.

     
  • At 1:17 PM, Blogger Minna said…

    There's another book I need to add on my TBB list...

     
  • At 1:39 PM, Blogger CrystalGB said…

    Congratulations to the winners. Jennifer Crusie's book sounds good.
    What great prizes. :)

     
  • At 2:03 PM, Blogger Cherie J said…

    Congrats to the winners. This anthology sounds great. Thanks for the heads up. Wow! You have some great goodies there. Would love to win some. Keeping my fingers crossed.

     
  • At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love reading books by Jennifer Crusie. I would like to enter this contest. The prizes sound really great. Good luck to everyone.

     
  • At 4:29 PM, Blogger Carol M said…

    Congratulations to the winners!

    I've never read any books by these authors. This one sounds really good!

    I would love to win something from RT. Next year it will be near me and I hope to attend!! :)

     
  • At 4:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jenny Cruise is an awesome writer. I haven't gotten this one yet. I have this one Aunt who thinks she is about the only writer out there.

     
  • At 4:55 PM, Blogger ruth said…

    Fascinating book which I hope to read this summer. Prizes look lovely.

     
  • At 4:58 PM, Blogger pearl said…

    Crusie book is special. Your goodies are appealing.

     
  • At 5:01 PM, Blogger sharon said…

    Incredible pics of the prizes. That book sounds great. Will read it. Thanks.

     
  • At 5:19 PM, Blogger anne said…

    Super prizes. Enjoyable blog which is one of your best.

     
  • At 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The 'Unfortunate Miss Fortunes' sounds like a hoot...can't wait to read it. I don't read a lot of romance stories with humor in them, but the ones I have had the opportunity to indulge in have caused me quite a few laughs and big smiles...we all need to enjoy those once in a while...right.

    Thank you for bringing all the wonderful gifts you are sharing with us back.

    Shari C

     
  • At 5:29 PM, Blogger ellie said…

    Love that book that you mentioned. Sounds really unique. Your choice gifts are as usual very special as are you.

     
  • At 5:48 PM, Blogger jenna said…

    Loved the interesting post today. The book is enticing. Your gifties are as ever the best.

     
  • At 8:03 PM, Blogger Sue A. said…

    Congratulations to the winners!
    Thanks for the review of Jennifer Cruise's story.

     
  • At 8:21 PM, Blogger Kammie said…

    Welcome back! I just got The Unfortunate Miss Fortunes. I'm saving it for the beach. It looks good!

     
  • At 9:58 PM, Blogger ThatBrunette said…

    Hooray! You're back! I know I should comment on your review of the book but the cover of The Unfortunate Miss Fortunes is lovely.

    Please post from the hotel. Make sure you are drinking something fancy when you post.

     
  • At 10:15 PM, Blogger Anna Destefano said…

    As requested, I'm posting from the hotel ;o) Alas, not drinking any fancy stuff...gotta teach in the morning, after all. Maybe tomorrow night, lol! Acutally, I have a pretty firm rule about not drinking at conferences.

    Isn't the cover of TUMF amazing. Check out Jennie's blog (http://www.arghink.com/category/publishing/), scroll down to the June 25th post) for details on how the lovely thing came to be. Not an easy feat, as it turns out.

    Thanks to Kailin who referred so many new friends to our neck of the Internet woods. Please come back. We're always good for a fun time.

    Off to write a few more lines and get ready for tomorrow and catch some zzzzzs so I will hopefully make some sense.

    Rock on!!!

     
  • At 6:46 AM, Blogger Tam G. said…

    Congratulgtions Winners!
    That was a good review of Jennifer Cruise's story.
    Those are really good gifts.
    I've got The Unfortunate Miss Fortunes on my TTB list.

     
  • At 7:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Congrats to the winners!!!! I have the tote. They are great!

     
  • At 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congrats to the winners!!!!I would love to win. Glad you're back.

     
  • At 6:13 PM, Blogger catslady said…

    Big congrats to the winners.

    Is there anyone out there who wouldn't enjoy your goodies lol.

    I haven't read her as yet, but it sounds like something I would like.

     
  • At 11:38 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Oh wow, the book sounds great! I love Jennifer Crusie. :)

    Congratulations to the winners!

     
  • At 4:14 PM, Blogger Mariee said…

    I have already read The Unfortunate Miss Fortunes, and I agree - it's a really great book :)

    Congrats to winners!

     
  • At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love Jennifer Crusie too. Book looks really interesting.

    Pat L.

     
  • At 7:42 PM, Blogger Lisa Garner said…

    Congrats to the winners!! Book prizes are always the best!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home