Home | Meet Anna | Bookshelf | Coming Soon | Reviews | Articles | Contests | Appearences | Photos

Saturday, December 02, 2006

Saturday is Wish Day!!!

Okay, Blogspot actually agrees it's Saturday, so I think we're on a roll ;o)

Wow! Great turnout yesterday. I wish I had something to give you all. Well, maybe another excerpt??? See below ;o)

Yes, is the answer to the question about posting every day. If you want to be in the running for today's prize, you have to leave a comment--even if you left one yesterday. It's a party. Get to know each other. I think you're all fabulous. I know you will, too.

Today's topic (though I'd like to be chatting Mario all weekend, I figured I'd give you a break from one of many fixations)--Wishing On a Star. One of my favorite lines in children's literature is , "Second star to the right, and on ' til morning." There were times in my life when I'd have given anythng to be Peter Pan or Tinkerbell and be able to soar into the stars and off to Neverland. Dreaming/wishing that I could became an excellent substitute. Wishes are powerful things. They'll transform your life, if you let your mind accept that what you need is real, and have the faith to believe you can have it. That you deserve to reach for it.

Holidays are a time for reaching for what you want most. Family, fun and fantasy wishes that may never come true--but it does your soul good to reach for them ;o) So, what's your over the top wish??? What would you want if you let yourself want what you wanted most? Make it as greedy as you can, and see if that doesn't make you smile!!

Here's our prize for today--this great topstiched leather 9 West shoulder bag comes complete with a phone case and wallet that for some reason I didn't photograph. But you get the picture--it rocks!! Especially the jewels all over the shoulder strap ;O) Leave a comment today to be in the mix for it, or one of the $5 Borders gift certificates.

Our winner from yesterday, you're asking??? From the random drawing of all our commenters, we have...

Catslady, the Liz satchel is yours...

and

Sharon, the ARC of The Perfect Daughter is yours!!!

Email me your mailing addresses, ladies, and the prizes will ship out next week.

Everyone else, hope you win something today. Until then, here's a little more of Legally Yours:
********************************

"You bet I'm keeping him away from his child!" The nurse who'd rushed Stephen away from Dillon Degarro's hospital bed was furious. Indignant.

He didn't have to read her name badge to know she was the Kate Rhodes Manny Digarro had warned him about. The homeless shelter volunteer who'd registered a formal complaint of child abuse with the Atlanta Police Department.

"Mr. Degarro's done nothing to deserve being separated from his injured child," Stephen reasoned. "He's beside himself worrying about--"

"From the looks of that little boy's x-rays, someone should have done more than separate your friend from his son years ago."

"Client," Stephen corrected.

Her eyes narrowed. If her spine got any stiffer, she'd break in two.

"Your client should be in jail. Dillon has poorly healed breaks on both arms, in addition to the new one near his left wrist and right ankle. Weeks-old contusions on his chest, to go along with the shiny new ones on his face. And don't get me started on the poor dental hygiene and the vitamin deficiency we suspect is causing his complexion to be at least three shades lighter than a healthy child's should be. Once we have the results of the battery of tests the Dr. Floyd had ordered, not being able to visit Dillon will be the least of your client's concerns. Until then, Mr. Degarro should be thankful that restricting his access to the pediatric floor is the only option the nurses here had. Believe me, there's at least half a dozen staff who'd have been happy to do worse."

The golden-haired, green-eyed beauty's chest rose and fell quickly, her breathing agitated. The warm brown eyes that had smiled down at Dillon sparked with fire.

It wasn't lost on Stephen how perversely inappropriate it was, given the circumstances, to find her temper tantrum arousing. But he didn't run into that kind of passion often. Not in someone so meticulously put together he'd bet Friday night's poker stake that she rarely let a hair slip out of place, let alone her emotions.

Too bad this wasn't the time or place to push her buttons a little further, just to see what she'd do.

Work the case, man.

"You only met Manny Digarro and his son five days ago. Just two days before Dillon's accident."

"You mean his violent fall down the stairs that only his father seems to have witnessed, just like all the other accidents."

"Manny's no more a threat to his child than I am," Stephen assured her. "He's--"

"An abusive bastard who's never going to hurt his son again."

Stephen blinked. Focused past the righteous indignation that he'd have labeled blind ignorance on anyone else.

Most people took one look at impoverished immigrants like the Digarros and saw people they couldn't trust. A threat they didn't want to be any closer to than they had to. But Kate Rhodes spent several evenings a week volunteering at the shelter the Degarros had landed in, serving the homeless community. Protecting them for a world often too careless about the wellbeing of weak amongst them.

And now she was on a mission to protect a child who needed to be with the father who'd sacrificed his world for him.

"Manny Digarro's a terrified father who's watched his son have one accident after another, tried to protect him the best he could while working three different jobs to keep them off public assistance since coming to this country, and now he's being told that's not good enough. That Dillon's going to be taken away from him. I'm here to make sure someone in this hospital listens to his side of the story before a terrible mistake is made. If you really care about your patient, you'll give me five minutes of your time."

She sized up his Brooks Brother's suit.

Her eyebrow raised.

"Where did he dig you up, if he's struggling so badly?" she asked.

"At the legal aid center where he'd heard someone would listen to him, instead of taking one look at his ethnic background and worn out clothes and figure he was a no account bastard who beats up on little boys to get his jollies."

Those forest-green eyes widened. But instead biting back, she smiled.

"Bait me all you want, Mr. Creighton. But my first clue your client was a no account bastard came from studying the damage done to Dillon's body, not the color of their skin. And you've gotten all the details you're going to about Dillon's condition. I going to have to insist that you leave."

She headed around him, toward the nurses station again. He grabbed her arm. Instincts that had never let him down screamed that this woman could help him, if he could only get her to listen. But his mistake was instantly obvious. She didn't jerk away from his touch, she cringed. The agitated breathing that she'd brought under professional control, now stopped completely.

Frightened eyes snapped to his face, then dilated as her gaze flinched away.

"Let me go," whispered the woman who moments ago had verbally handed him his ass. "Please, let me--"

Stephen released her, raising his hand to show he meant no harm, the same way he'd sooth a skittish animal.

She flinched again.

"Is everything okay, Kate?" A tall man dressed in blue scrubs, a stethoscope draped around his neck, presumably a doctor, stepped to her side. He made no move to touch her as he glared at Stephen. "What the hell do you think you're doing!"

Making a mess of things.

"Mr. Creighton was just leaving," Kate Rhodes answered. "Bob, would you call security to help him find the door?"

The other man didn't budge.

"No need." Stephen stepped away.

He buried his hands in the pockets of the trench coat he hadn't bothered taking off. His fingers wrapped around the stack of business cards he always carried with him. Drawing one out, he handed it to doctor, but he studied the beautiful nurse's face until she looked back at him.

"I'm sorry to have frightened you. But please, if you change your mind about helping the Digarro's, call my pager any time of the day or night."

He walked toward the elevator, cursing the fear and confusion still lingering in her eyes. Eyes that seemed incapable hiding whatever she was feeling. The eyes of someone who would fight just as hard for the patients in her care as he did for clients who had nowhere else to turn.
Someone he'd have found himself wanting to know better, if he wasn't so certain she was wrong, dead wrong, about the cause of Dillon Degarro's injuries.

And that her mistake was going to ruin his client's life.

Labels: , ,

27 Comments:

  • At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I wish life would not go so fast. Since reaching the age of fifty, time is just racing by it seems. There is so much on this earth that I will never have the joy to experience. I would love to live for decades and decades to come.

    happy holidays

     
  • At 10:49 AM, Blogger Shannon said…

    Congrats Sharon and Catslady! Have a great day everyone!

     
  • At 11:02 AM, Blogger Carol M said…

    Congrats Catslady and Sharon!

    Another great excerpt! This story sounds really good!

    First, I would like everyone in my family to be healthy and happy. What I would like for myself is enough money to buy a new home and new furniture. My home needs so many things done that I just don't know where to start! I would also like to have enough money to do things for my children and grandchildren. Oh and I wouldn't mind be younger either! lol

     
  • At 11:04 AM, Blogger Sandy M said…

    My biggest wish would be to able to afford to move back to Los Angeles to retire. I love it there and miss all my friends terribly. But unless we hit the lottery, I'm stuck in the desert forever.

     
  • At 11:17 AM, Blogger Meljprincess said…

    Congrats, Catslady *wink* and Sharon!
    I wish I had perfect health and could travel to Scotland.
    That purse is the bomb!

     
  • At 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Anna and all! That is a wonderful bag but then again they all are. Congratulations winners! I suppose my wish would have to be a selfish one in that I also would like to be wealthy enough to take care of my family as I would like and young enough to enjoy it. Thank you for welcoming me into your group girls (and guys)

     
  • At 12:48 PM, Blogger tastefully yours said…

    Congrats Ladies!

    As for wishes, a long, healthy, and productive life for family but especially my children. This world we live in gets harder everyday and they will have to face many different challenges than we did. To win enough money in the lottery to pay off all my bills so I can enjoy life to the fullest extent and rid my family of the worries.

    Most of all I wish that our soldiers who are trying to make a better life for us come home safely!

    Sherry

     
  • At 12:48 PM, Blogger Jennifer Y. said…

    Another great excerpt! I am looking forward to this book!

    My wish would be for my parents to have a new home...and my grandfather's leukemia to be gone.

     
  • At 12:50 PM, Blogger Jennifer Y. said…

    Oh, and congrats catslady and Sharon.

     
  • At 12:52 PM, Blogger Jennifer Y. said…

    How about if I also wish for everyone's wishes up there to come true...just read them all and they are great.

     
  • At 12:54 PM, Blogger Dena said…

    Congrats Ladies.

    Thanks for the excerpt Anna,I
    can't wait for the whole book.

    Thanks n0odz1.

    I really like your wishes toni and wish the same.Personally my wish would be to have my health back to what it was before the car accident,so I could enjoy all the simple and hard things that people do everyday.A miracle that would be for sure. Winning the lottery would be more likely and that's not very likely. It would be wonderful to have the financial freedom to not worry about my daughter's future most of all.

     
  • At 1:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I wish for my family to always be in good health (and to finally have affordable life insurance).
    And I wish that all children would be safe and happy.
    And a secret wish and goal I'm striving for is to purchase a seconed home on the SC coast. Somewhere between Murrels Inlet, SC and Charleston. I'd love to have all the extended family come and use the house when they like and have the cousins spend some summers together. I'd keep this house and pass it down from generation to generation. A place of just good memories with family and friends. A retreat from the everyday! Oh and my husband would like a nice large boat to go with it! It's nice to dream!
    Congrats to yesterday's winners and great excerpt today.

     
  • At 2:10 PM, Blogger catslady said…

    Oh, thank you so much Anna and everyone for their congrats. The purse is a beauty.

    Sooooo many wonderful wishes. Besides the obvious world peace (why can't we all just get along), health, wealth and pursuit of happiness - to be able to buy all the books I want and the time to read them all and a library in my home to hold them all lol.

     
  • At 2:23 PM, Blogger Maureen said…

    If the sky's the limit I would wish for health, wealth and happiness. The wonderful thing about wishes is that they make you think of all the possibilities in life.

     
  • At 2:46 PM, Blogger Anna Destefano said…

    Everyone's wishes sound amazing. Dream big--it does the soul good ;o)

    Me? My big secret dream would be to have a brownstone on one of the side streets near the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC. I want to be able to walk to the MET every morning and stare at the impressionists and dream about my latest wip. Sigh...

    Linda, I just left a comment about your Thanksgiving week comment. But in case you don't go looking back there, email me and let me know how you're doing.

    TTFN, blog buddies. Can't wait to read more greedy wishes when I check back in later tonight ;o)

     
  • At 3:53 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I love the excerpt Anna! I love that the hero and heroine are both so passionate about what they believe to be right. I also love that the heroine would fight to protect a child. I'm hooked!

    My greatest wish has always been to be able to open a center to help children that have been victims of abuse and neglect. I would want it to not only offer counseling, but also sports, classes, tutoring, etc. I think so often we forget that stopping the abuse is only the first step, these kids need help after the fact to heal. I would love to be a part of that.

    My completely greedy wish would be to have you as my personal shopper, Anna! You always find the most fabulous things!

    Hugs, Zara

     
  • At 5:52 PM, Blogger Pat L. said…

    Since we are talking greedy here - how about a huge gift certif to Borders and a shopping spree to same store for say an hour.

    Congrats, ladies. Enjoy your prizes.

     
  • At 5:54 PM, Blogger robynl said…

    congrats winners. Great excerpt.
    I wish for better health for my family, for extra money to pay off my brother's farm so he is debt free, money for my twin brother and a better back for him so he can work, money to sis can pay off their new home, money to sis can quit work, and a housekeeper for me once a week, a never-ending appointment at the beauty salon paid for in advance and a GC to eat out once a week paid for by someone else.

     
  • At 6:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Certain members of my family aren't talking to each other which makes the holidays hard. So I really wish they would start talking again.

    I'd also like to not have to go to my day job.

     
  • At 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know what you are talking about, Joyce.

    I wish for everyone in my family and my friends to be healthy and happy.

     
  • At 1:51 AM, Blogger Jennifer Y. said…

    Great wishes everyone!

     
  • At 7:42 AM, Blogger Pat L. said…

    Everyone's wishes are wonderful.

    But most important is good health and peace to all on Earth.

     
  • At 8:00 AM, Blogger J said…

    I wish for health and more money than I need. But most of all, I wish for harmony within the family.

     
  • At 10:19 AM, Blogger CrystalGB said…

    To have a baby. My husband I want a child more than anything

     
  • At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good luck with your wish, Crystal and Linda and everyone else.

    If not too late to post, here is my post: Like everyone else - good health and happiness to all.

     
  • At 11:43 AM, Blogger Meljprincess said…

    I wish I could "do it" with the Deppster or Dave Navarro. lol!

     
  • At 1:24 PM, Blogger Dena said…

    Thanks Toni,your so sweet. I have your children in my thoughts Billie,it's so hard to keep up your spirits when you are battling a ongoing sickness. Someday there will be no more sicknesses.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home