Home | Meet Anna | Bookshelf | Coming Soon | Reviews | Articles | Contests | Appearences | Photos

Monday, February 26, 2007

It's the simple things...

...that you go back to, when the rest gets to be too much.


Our weekend here's been about rebuilding. My dh came down with a touch of my flu that thankfully didn't take hold too strongly. So, we stuck close to home and caught up on a lot of little things and got ready to push hard through the week. Played with the cats, played with our son, watched the beautiful weather outside the window that neither of us had the energy to go out and enjoy.

And it was good.

Recharging with the simple things, being proud of whatever you can do and not expecting more than the moment... We don't have the play in our day-to-day grind to get to that place very often. For me, being down for the count with the flu seems to be what it takes sometimes to slow me down enought to just sit and see.


Well, I'm going to be more intentional about the "seeing" this year. I need to be. So many great things are ahead. My writing and travel schedule should be the most fun I've had yet. But it will be too easy to let being busy and on deadline and tired take over, if the little the simple things aren't my focus.


I know what I want to accomplish this year--personal goals that have nothing to do with my job or what the world expects. Do you?

Those goals are what I'll remember each morning, as the sun begins to slant through the blinds in my office windows. And just before bed at night, even if I've been too busy to take a breath the rest of the day, those goals and what I've done to take me closer to accomplishing them will be what I spend my last few minutes focusing on.


The simple stuff... Focus on it, be proud of how you chase it and know it's what feeds you most. Accomplish the simple, and the rest will follow. The rest is usually stuff you have very little control over, anyway.

Besides, string enough simple together, and you'll find something pretty spectacular to be proud of before you know it.

Have a great Monday!!!

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

  • At 10:49 AM, Blogger kerri1973 said…

    Hey Anna,

    Just want to find out if you're coming to the Southern Magic conference in B'ham at the end of March? Would love to see you there! Hope all is well and I'll see you around the blog.

     
  • At 12:00 PM, Blogger Anna Destefano said…

    Kerri, I'd love to come to Southern Magic. The line up of speakers sounds amazing, and it's a great group. And I'm a double finalist in their published contest this year!!!

    But, unfortunately, I was already committed to another event when I first realized Southern Magic's dates. : o(

    Have fun for me!!!

     
  • At 7:03 PM, Blogger Pat L. said…

    Glad hubby wasnt too sick.

    Sometimes it is nice to just lounge around and get some simple things done or just do nothing.

     
  • At 12:14 PM, Blogger Anna Destefano said…

    The feeling's mutual, Jack--and everyone!

    You're all where I come, when I need to remember what this is all about.

     
  • At 1:06 PM, Blogger Jennifer Y. said…

    Great advice Anna!

     
  • At 2:24 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    You have a wonderful outlook Anna! I hope you and yours are all well now.

    Everyone in our household has had the flu, and it has taken us about three weeks to get over it. I admit that after having two sick children, a sick hubby, and a sick me, that my attitude has been better lol. Thanks for the reminder that sometimes seeing what is important, is as simple as opening your eyes. I have too much to be thankful for to maintain a bad attitude. Although, I may pretend to be grouchy for one more day. I'm hardly ever a grouch. Therefore it confuses my husband to no end, which is quite fun lol. I know, bad Zara. Bad, bad, bad! :)

    Hugs all, Zara

     
  • At 2:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Anna, I'm so glad that I read this post. You have reminded me that I have so much to be thankful for and every reason to remember to enjoy the simple things that are so special. It is so easy to get caught up in the bustle and grind and forget that you'd promised yourself to be aware of the sunrises and sunsets and take the time to play. Thanks.

     
  • At 4:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are so right about the simple things! I had been ill for most of the winter, and now I've learned that what I used to perceive as "average" days at best and "bad" days at worst are really not so terrible after all! I'm just grateful for life, health, and having a wonderful husband and dog.

     
  • At 12:07 PM, Blogger flip said…

    My life is full of happy moments. You just have to savor the moments...for example, I remember sitting in an beautiful walkway near Cafe du mondo in New Orleans with my sister, Alicia. It was sunny, the mosiacs and plants were beautiful. We were delighting in our beignets and chicory coffee. Just a moment, but since my sister died on New years day at 45, I relive and savor that happy moment.

    I don't know whether it is fair to say the simple things make you happy. I don't think the birth of my children were simple or uncomplicated, but I felt a blazing joy. Love is magical, fair from simple, but I rejoice in my love for my husband after 25 years. I think happiness comes from recogizing and taking pleasure in all the wonderful gifts that we receive every day.

     
  • At 3:19 PM, Blogger Patricia K said…

    I love your picture and your books

     
  • At 1:52 PM, Blogger Erica said…

    Snoopy is awesome! Woodstock is going to be crushed! Fabulous website. ;o)

     
  • At 1:14 PM, Blogger Carol M said…

    That's good advice, Anna! It's something we all need to remember more often.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home