Home | Meet Anna | Bookshelf | Coming Soon | Reviews | Articles | Contests | Appearences | Photos

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Tunnels and Trains and other Destinations

Woohoooo!!!! Destination, FINISHED!!!! Time for some serious partying!!!!

I Interneted All-American Father to my agent yesterday, and promptly fell into a puddle of sleep deprivation. At many points along the way, it felt like this "trip" was going to do me in. All signs were that it wouldn't be finished in time... Check out this vintage sign I dug up at some point over the last week, while playing around online (instead of working ;O) ...


But the blood and sweat that went into this book was soooooo worth it. The ride turned out to be lovely in the end. I learned so much about my writing style, and the scenery along the way was breathtaking (I think I've created some of my best characters yet) .

All-American Father is lighter than what I typically write, but now I know I can do lighter and still produce something emotionally rich and honest. Very contemporary themes. Hunky guy and spunky heroine (plus a a pre-teen that keeps her father on his toes until the end). Sigh...

And I guess that's what happens when you risk travelling somewhere you've never gone before...you usually think you know where you're going, but at some point the journey takes over and starts dishing out surprises. The kind that make memories you'll never forget. Look at this beautiful shot from the inside of Union Center. Who could have known that a subway terminal could look so beautiful?

But once you're in the tunnel (and leave the pretty ceiling behind), it's easy to get scared. How will you get out? What happens if the the train stops while you're trapped inside? What will you do then???

My advice, dive in to the adventure and don't you dare close your eyes...you'll miss the best stuff life has to offer if you do...out of control rides are the best...Take a look at the tunnel leaving one of the DC metro stations. It's like being in Star Wars or something...

If you miss your next great adventure or refuse to head into the long tunnel ahead, because you're worried about not being able to get off until you reach the other end, you'll be missing a wicked ride--and all the cool stuff that comes along with being scared of it ;O)

Which is all my long way of saying...sorry for being gone for a week, I've been off screaming as I wrote through my own tunnel of doom, but I'm back now, and the ride was way cool!!!!! My brain is toast, and blospot is resisting all kinds of things I've tried to do over and over today. So...I'm giving myself until Thursday to regroup, pick last week's winner, and pull together a new RWA prize. I'll be randomly drawing from any comments posted until Thursday morning, so be sure to give us a howdy ('cause it's a really cool prize!!!).

Also, I'm finally going to catch up with all things website, including drawing a new Funky Purse winner there, and uploading the picture of the FAB. new prize you won't want to miss.

But for today, I'm relishing the scary and the sweet of my journey...looking back at that long tunnel as I speed toward the horizan, taking a deep breath now that I'm done and feeling rather spanky, if I do say so myself.

Tell us about your out-of-control excursions, both the ones you've taken, and those you've only dreamed about. Then make a committment to get yourself there, and a plan for making that committment happen. The rush is like nothing you've ever known, take my word for it!!!

As is the pay off--coming home to the people you care about, and starting to plan all over again.

Thanks for being my online home!!!!

Labels: , , ,

19 Comments:

  • At 10:09 PM, Blogger Cheryl said…

    Hi Anna! We've missed you. Congratulations on getting All-American Father to your agent. Love the train and tunnel pics today.

     
  • At 10:45 PM, Blogger Estella said…

    Congrats on getting AAF to your agent.
    The pics were great.

     
  • At 10:46 PM, Blogger Jennifer Y. said…

    Missed ya Anna! But I can't wait to read All-American Father!

     
  • At 10:52 PM, Blogger Pat L. said…

    Glad you are back.

     
  • At 11:43 PM, Blogger robynl said…

    Congrats on your 'journey'!!! Amazing what one learns along the way. Love the train pic.

     
  • At 8:15 AM, Blogger Carol M said…

    Congratulations on getting All-American Father done! Can't wait to read it!

     
  • At 8:43 AM, Blogger CrystalGB said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 8:45 AM, Blogger CrystalGB said…

    Congratulations on getting All-American Father to your agent. I sure it is a wonderful book.

     
  • At 10:21 AM, Blogger Fannie said…

    I can't wait to read the new book. It sounds great. Of course you can do lighter. Why did you ever think you couldn't? The pictures are beautiful. My tunnel is to visit Alaska. That was what my husband wanted to do and didn't get to do, so I am hoping to do it for him. Other than that, I feel I have mostly accomploishe all the goals I had set, so it's time to set some new ones. Gotta have something to look forward to, don't we??? Anyway Hugs to all and have a great day.

     
  • At 11:29 AM, Blogger Anna Destefano said…

    Thanks for all the congrats, everyone!!! I wish AAF was through production and edits, so I could send you all a copy now. I'm that excited about it ;O)

    Fannie, I think honoring your husband's dreams by "doing" is an amazing goal. What a journey of discovery. Your life sounds like it's been so rich and fulfilling (of course, trying at times, too). I admire how grounded you always seem to be!!

    Dee, road trips are so cool. I'm longing for another one. This last year, I've done several trips to Floriday for conferences--once solo, another time with a buddy). I'd forgotten how much fun it was to be on the open road, instead of hasselling with flying. I'm considering more driving, less Delta, for me appearances next year.

    Good luck with your flooded house. Yikes!!! Hope everything works out well there. And with your writing. It's hard, when the rough stuff comes, not to give up the writing as a "nice-to-have." But it's when you can get back to it, that you realize just how much your work feeds your soul. Hope you get into a lovely groove soon!!!

     
  • At 11:30 AM, Blogger Anna Destefano said…

    Fannie...sigh...my fingers are failing me today... That was honoring your husband by "doing" Alaska, LOL!!!!

    But you knew what I meant, right???

     
  • At 1:08 PM, Blogger Anna Destefano said…

    Toni, fiesty women always make it through, one way or another. Sorry that you were laid off, but finding a job you can look forward to showing up at every day is a worthy journey.

    I punted my Fortune 500 career somewhere around five years ago, and it was nerve wracking for a while, when there was no promise that I'd break into fiction publishing. But I'd never go back (unless the money made it necessary). So glad I took that leap. When I think of still being in the job I had (mostly working with folks I didn't care to see every day), I cringe.

    So, be brave, all who are starting over!!!

    You're going to make it after all ;O) You, me and MTM.

     
  • At 2:46 PM, Blogger Maureen said…

    Congratulations on finishing the book. It's always great to take some time for yourself after being under a lot of pressure.

     
  • At 4:05 PM, Blogger Minna said…

    Congrats on finishing the book!

     
  • At 6:26 PM, Blogger Fannie said…

    Toni, I believe you will find the perfect job. One that excites you and makes you want to get up and go to work.
    Cheri, congrats on the new baby. I know you will come through with flying colors. You just love the toddler and his new sister and everything will be A-okay. How could it be anything else with you for a Mother. God Bless.

     
  • At 8:08 PM, Blogger Jeanette J said…

    Great picture of Union Center..and congrats on the book (hope you didn't lose too much blood)

     
  • At 9:26 PM, Blogger ThatBrunette said…

    Congratulations on reaching the light at the end of your tunnel. I missed your blogs.

    Yes, the DC Metro system has some funky terminals and very very very long escelators (sp) that descend into the depths of the earth. They just added the 'moving ads' in the tunnels. Entertainment while wizzing to work!

    Love the vintage pics. Corset adds are a personal fave. :-)

     
  • At 5:35 AM, Blogger Jessica Raymond said…

    Congratulations on finishing!

     
  • At 9:54 PM, Blogger Angie-la said…

    Anna! Glad to see you back. Congrats on sending off AAF and "putting your new baby to bed" so to speak! :o)
    I guess the scariest "journey" me and my family embarked upon was leaving our established church home where we had been for many years and joining a brand-new ministry under the direction of a new pastor. We started this adventure five years ago with 25 people meeting in an old middle school cafeteria. Today we have grown to 200 people and moved into a brand new building! It was a wild and exciting ride and worth every minute of anxiety and hard work and struggle.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home