Home | Meet Anna | Bookshelf | Coming Soon | Reviews | Articles | Contests | Appearences | Photos

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Never Apologize for Being Who You Are...

There's a cute kid on American Idol--seventeen-year-old Sanjaya Malakar. He's still in the running, when admittedly better singers have been voted off in his stead. Even the judges, who've seen this kind of thing happen before, are befuddled to the point of not really being able to be encouraging anymore--"you have great hair," was all Randy Jackson could come up with after Tuesday's performance. But Sanjaya's still there...standing with the other guy in the bottom two last night, hearing that he was going to stay for another week, and looking like he wanted to crawl under a rock because he shouldn't be there...

Knock it off Sanjaya!!! Something like millions of people all over this country just voted for you. You aren't having the best week ever, I get that. You're in a singing competition, and you really can't sing at the level of most of the other contestants, but you've got something people like to see enough to vote so they can see more next week. Don't you dare apologize for being who you are. Don't you dare!

Never give your power away to the instinct to beat up on yourself for the good things in your life. Trust me. Been there, still go there myself too much. Not a good place. Do you deserve your stroke of fortune??? Honestly, I'm of the mind that most of what we receive in life is along the lines of a gift. There's a whole world of good, hardworking people out there. At any given time there are those who are receiving good, and those who couldn't get their hands on the good stuff, if their lives depended on it. Seasons come and go. This is your time to shine and smile and be thrilled and make the most of it. To be grateful and feel lucky. Ruin this moment because you think you don't deserve it, and I promise you, you'll regret it once you're home and thinking back about all that's been given to you.

We all deserve every speck of good that comes into our lives. And get this... Good doesn't happen in a vacume. What's good for you can be good for all the people around you, as well as the ones you'll meet in the future who can learn from what you do now with your good fortune.

Don't waist your gift and throw away the chance to figure out what it means. People are responding to you and want you around so they can enjoy what you're doing some more... Don't let yourself feel anything but proud and honored and excited by the fact that you still have another chance to reach your fans.

And, yeah-yeah, this is one of those times when I'm talking to myself as much as I am to anyone else. You just never know in the book business. When you're up, it's always possible you'll be down tomorrow. When you're down, it's easy to believe you might never make it to whatever place you have your heart set on reaching, so you can know you've achieved one of your career goals. Another news flash coming...you can't control when or if the success comes. You can only make the most of the gifts you're given now.

So, whether I'll ever hit a big-time list or be the lead author at my publisher or become a household name, I'll stay focused on the fact that enough readers like what I'm doing, that they vote with their purchasing power to keep me around a while longer. This journey belongs as much to my readers as it does to me... I refuse to ever let myself get to the point that I can't write anymore, because I'm not sure I belong...and trust me, most writers are at one time or another are convinced they don't.

So, I've learned to write through the low points and the times when there's no self-confidence left... I keep writing and pitching new story ideas, as if I belong there beside all the other "real" writers...

And then, suddenly, it seems that I do ;o) I just sold two more books into the Atlanta Heroes series (Remember Me, which you've read a chapter of), and a third book that I'm already in love with. Going back to contract is never fun, and we're still hashing out the details. Again, never fun. But, I get to hang with you guys some more and write more books that thousands of readers will one day hold in their hands... Dear, Lord!!! That's my dream come true!!! How did that happen???

What's your dream? Have you ever told yourself that you don't deserve it... can't have it... would never belong up there with the folks who are already "winners?" Well, knock it off Sanjaya!!! Shake the doubt off right along with me and live the gifts you've been given.

Here's to a year of good stuff for all of us, and a year of the hard-work it sometimes takes to believe that good things can really be ours!

Oh, and yesterday's winner of the first lovely, green Liz Claiborne purse... thatbrunette... Send me your mailing address!!!

One more purse and a froggie to go... Leave a comment today to be in the running ;o)

Labels:

20 Comments:

  • At 11:02 AM, Blogger Shannon said…

    Congrats Brunette!

    I agree about Sanjaya. I have liked him from the start and I feel bad that everyone is making fun of him.

    Have a great day everyone!

     
  • At 11:36 AM, Blogger Cheryl said…

    Congratulations thatbrunette!
    Anna, thanks for reminding us that we are each special and talented and valued. I needed to hear that today. Your blog is so calming and uplifting in an otherwise hectic, sometimes self-centered world.

     
  • At 12:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Oh, I really love this blog post. We all need that reminder at times. I agree about Sanjaya. Week after week they tear him apart and you can just see his confidence slipping a little more. He seems like such a sweet kid. I wish he could see past the negativity to just take his moment and run with it.

    Congratulations thatbrunette!

     
  • At 12:49 PM, Blogger robynl said…

    this blog was for me also; I'm struggling lately with some issues and need to keep believing that everything will work out. Thanks.
    Congrats to the winner!

     
  • At 12:50 PM, Blogger Carol M said…

    Congrats thatbrunette!

    That is a wonderful post, Anna! I always enjoy visiting your blog!

     
  • At 1:09 PM, Blogger traveler said…

    Life can interfere with the goals and aspirations. Thanks for the clarity of your blog and making things so beautiful for the day and even longer. Love it.

     
  • At 1:14 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I agree about Sanjaya. I really believe that he has a good voice, he just has to let loose and project it more. I think he would do really well, but he seems to be holding back. Maybe since his sister was eliminated early on, he feels bad for suceeding and isn't trying very hard. Either way, he's still in there, so he should make the most of it.
    Great blog Anna. I'd like to be a writer as well and I enjoy seeing how you balance your life and how you navigate the publishing and writing world. You're very inspiring. Now I just have to sit down and actually write.......

     
  • At 1:50 PM, Blogger CrystalGB said…

    Great blog Anna. Very inspirational. I agree about Sanjaya. He should relish in the fact that he is in the top 12 and sing his heart out.

     
  • At 3:38 PM, Blogger Maureen said…

    I agree. I try to always be thankful and appreciate the things I have. There will be times when things are going extremely well and other times that they're not.

     
  • At 3:50 PM, Blogger principessa said…

    Your post has influenced me today and will continue to, as it is exceptionally motivating and upbeat. Thanks for the words of wisdom. Life is nto always smooth but we have to learn how to navigate.

     
  • At 4:47 PM, Blogger Minna said…

    Congrats That Brunette!

     
  • At 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congrats on selling your 2 books.
    Have a wonderful weekend everyone.

     
  • At 8:43 PM, Blogger Kathleen said…

    Congrats to the winner!

    Yeah, 2 more books!!!! Very exciting!!

     
  • At 8:52 PM, Blogger catslady said…

    Congrats thatbrunette!
    Congrats, Anna, on the 2 more books - well deserved.
    I so like reading your posts - they're so positive. I grew up in a family that was the total opposite. Thanks for the pep talk :)

     
  • At 9:34 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Great message!

     
  • At 9:48 AM, Blogger Debby said…

    Love those purses. Have a great day.

     
  • At 10:14 AM, Blogger Angie-la said…

    Congrats on the Atlanta Heroes series, Anna! :P
    Everyone needs to believe in themselves. I know the singers on AI set themselves up for abuse (I have never seen the show, so I can't comment on the whole Sanjaya thing), but I am not a fan of mean-spirited criticism. Especially toward young people. Critiquing should help a person grow in their talent, not beat them down into an insecure heap.

     
  • At 12:22 PM, Blogger ThatBrunette said…

    Hmm, blogger ate my comment again. Now I have to remember what I said!

    Thanks for the prize, Anna!

    Is it a feeling of not deserving the win or feeling bad for someone losing? I know, they sound similar. Some people like to compete for the challenge. Some people like to compete to win. Both want to win but, one is more personable with the other contestants. Am I making sense or should I take a nap? :-)

     
  • At 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Anna,

    Loved your blog on the Idol business. You're right, Sanjaya ought to hold his head high and enjoy every single second of the good stuff! We all need that reminder. It's not always easy when you're in the moment, but I agree, once he gets home, he'll wish he had.

    What a simple sweet reality check.

    Marian S

     
  • At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Be yourself always! Always wanted to win something on a blog, especially since I do not like to blog and prefer getting the information from a newsletter and then go to Anna's site. I'll keep trying to go to your blog and sure hope that I have success.

    Margaret G.
    Sabo

     

Post a Comment

<< Home